Boil Overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamen46

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, but here it goes.

I had a super frustrating brew last night. I did an all zythos blend IPA and I could not get it to stop boiling over. As a result, I only got about 50% efficiency and missed my target OG by .016, and, with a 90 minute boil.

I should note that I do use a 7.5 gallon brew kettle, so boil overs are an issue for me, especially during hop additions. However, I can usually get it under control after 1 or 2. Last night, it continued for the entire 90 minute boil. And it was not just during hop additions either. It was the entire time. I tried everything: ice cubes, decreasing the heat, stirring, skimming the thicker foam with a slotted spoon.

I guess one question would be, are some grains more apt to boilover than others?

Please help...

J Brew

I always get potential boil overs with Pilsen malt. That's been the worst for me. But I started using Fermcap.... Just a couple drops right as it starts to foam up, and like magic, it all dies down and no boil overs to worry about!

...or you can use these

GNP_infant_anti-gas_drops.JPG

they solved all my boil over issues both in my brew kettle and my Erlenmeyer flask for starters. I buy the unflavored ones they are easier to find at any drugstore.

I've had a couple of near-boilovers (5 gallon pot, about 3.5 gallon partial boils) recently. I've found using a spray bottle set on a heavy mist at the first hint that it's thinking about boiling up helps, accompanied by vigorous stirring while spraying. If it gets too close for comfort, I lift the pot off the burner until it settles. This is fairly dangerous with a 5 gal pot and I wouldn't recommend it with larger ones... if you have a gas stove or burner you could probably just turn off / down the flame to get the same effect, but with an electric burner it takes too long to cool down to be effective. Having a second person on hand to turn down the heat while you hold the pot, cursing and praying not to dump boiling wort foam all over the kitchen is extremely helpful but not strictly required.

Back