Priming my Pumpkin Ale (Picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
I fermented my pumpkin ale for a 10 days in primary and then racked to secondary for another two weeks. I used the Midwest pumpkin Ale kit and tweaked the recipe a bit the biggest change being that I used 75 Oz of canned pumpkin added in the last couple minutes of primary. It is clear that I lost a considerable amount of beer due to the pumpkin trub but I am not too sure how much.

This is my fifth batch so I am relativley new at this but my best guess would be that I lost about 1.5 gallons when I transferred to secondary. I just don't want to add too much priming sugar and end up with bottle bombs, so I was hoping that someone could advise me on how much beer I actually lost. The attached picture is my beer sitting in my 6.5 gallon glass carboy atop the massive amount of trub. Any help would be appreciated in determining how much I lost and how much dextrose I should prime with ( I was thinking about 3.5 ounces).

Thanks

Pumpkin Ale.jpg

How did the carbonation turn out with that? Seems a little on the low end.

At almost three weeks in the bottle they are carbed up quite well . I would add maybe another .25 oz next time but its still early and they may turn out perfect after another week or so. They have about a half inch of head which is not quite as much as I would like but may increase over time. Have drank a couple myself and have given some to friends and gotten good reviews. Cheers!

Back