Who are the Facebook holdouts and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
I am a 33 year old grad student who refuses to join the myface or the spacebook. Personally, I like my privacy. Professionally, I work in mental health and the ability of some whackjob to track me down thru facebook creeps me out.

I know I'm not alone. Who else has eschewed the digital social networks and why?

Failbook is for twats and teenagers. My mother, her sisters, just about everyone I know under the age of thirty all have failbook accounts. I wouldn't join if someone put a gun to my head.

I'm on it, but I dont do anything on it at all. I dont think I've done anything in like 3 months. People spend waaaay too much time stalking other people on it; waste of time......time that could be spent thinking about beer

I've had a look at it and it looks stupid. I'm old I guess. Good for kids and girls, IMO. Flame on.

See, I've heard the old explanation, but my grandmother, professors, damn near everyone I know is on it--many of whom I consider to be intelligent people. I think perhaps you just have a modicum of self respect :mug:

i joined it a couple years ago, just because i'd never seen it and didn't know what it was about. stayed there 3 days, found out most every1 there is a loser with nothing to do but talk about their boyfriends and husbands ( males and females doing that ) and jetted with a message about it being too much hens cackling, tweeting (which i can't understand doing), and bs no1 cares about

i joined it a couple years ago, just because i'd never seen it and didn't know what it was about. stayed there 3 days, found out most every1 there is a loser with nothing to do but talk about their boyfriends and husbands ( males and females doing that ) and jetted with a message about it being too much hens cackling, tweeting (which i can't understand doing), and bs no1 cares about

Thank you for your reply, but out of respect to Yooper and all the rest of us who still have a fundamental appreciation for the English language, please refrain from any further use of textspeak in this thread... :p

I am a 33 year old grad student who refuses to join the myface or the spacebook. Personally, I like my privacy. Professionally, I work in mental health and the ability of some whackjob to track me down thru facebook creeps me out.

I know I'm not alone. Who else has eschewed the digital social networks and why?

LinkedIn for professional stuff, facebook for family and very close friends. If some non-close friend has something going on I need to know about, I get it one way or another. Nothing but trouble on facebook. I got on with facebook after myspace ****ted the bed. Now facebook has **** the bed. I can sympathize with people on both sides of social networking participation.

Thank you for your reply, but out of respect to Yooper and all the rest of us who still have a fundamental appreciation for the English language, please refrain from any further use of textspeak in this thread... :p

no1.. no one... pretty differential for a texas hill country resident. i was going to say hillbilly, but that might be offensive :ban:

I am no technophobe. I enjoy the wonders of technology as much as the next person. Hell, I've ingested so much sci-fi I'm truly pissed that I can't just talk to my computer and SW doesn't have a space department :D

However, I find that anyone I truly want to know about I actually talk to on a regular basis. Not to mention that it appears 99% of my campus seems to be suffering from droidism, a condition in which bipedal locomotion is temporarily inhibited by an apparently uninterruptible technological interface :rockin:

Privacy, you can't control what your friends post.

Not too long ago there was a girl on here looking to do a study on underage brewers, and she listed a phone number. Wanting to see if the number was in any way legit I Googled it. Suprisingly enough it was a legit number belonging to a university student. Even more surprising was the fact that the number came up with a link where one of her friends posted "I lost my phone, send me your number". Since her friend forgot to make it private I instantly had a list of all of her friends, their pictures, their phone numbers, and a pretty good idea where they all lived.

If someone takes a drunk picture of you at a party, they can tag you. You are tagged until you opt out. Even if you don't have an account you can be tagged. Even if you opt out, people are still likely to find your drunk picture when browsing the album.

Additionally, the first thing some people (of course I don't, because I think it might be illegal) do when I get a resume is check the person's facebook page, great way to do initial screens.

I don't know how people have the time (or the interest) to mess w/ all that social media stuff. I get the interest in pron, but facebook? ...weird to me.

Actually, I know several folks that work in human resources that spend time looking for employee (and applicant) social media info. I'm not sure if it's less public now, but in the past they would add what they found to their "files" to be considered in personnel matters. Of course, HR have little else to do all day.

No thanks, I'll pass.

My wife actually fired a staff member for having "inappropriate relationships" with minor residents at a facility she worked at. Idiot was posting back and forth on myspace... I think its great when stupid people get caught doing stupid things. It'll be that much easier getting a job!

Additionally, the first thing some people (of course I don't, because I think it might be illegal) do when I get a resume is check the person's facebook page, great way to do initial screens.

Why would it be illegal? If they're stupid enough to have **** available for Joe Q Public to see - that should weigh into your hiring process.

If someone takes a drunk picture of you at a party, they can tag you. You are tagged until you opt out. Even if you don't have an account you can be tagged. Even if you opt out, people are still likely to find your drunk picture when browsing the album.

That's why I try to look and act drunk at all times. Then the worst I could be is the only sober one in the group.

I did myspace a little, many years ago. I thought it was lame, still think it was lame, but then everyone kept putting up pics on it and you need to log in to see anything so I had to create an account. I put up the stupid lists of shyte that I like, and then low and behold an ex starts stalking me...so that was the last time did anything on there. I did post a "i know you're following me online you crazy *****" blog post just to make sure said person read it.

I have a login for fb because you need it to truly stalk people. I still fail to see how it's different than myspace.

I've YET to figure out the point of twitter.

The Army has moved full force into social media as a way to engage family members during deployments. Units will have a facebook page that they use to highlight Soldier achievements so family members can stay informed about what is going on downrange. In my field many of the "deciders" gently suggested engaging social media. My page is about 80 percent professional and 10 percent family and 10 percent friends.

The only issue I have is that everyone I work with, have worked with or will work with in the future can see my page. I make sure to tell my friends and family to send me messages instead posting to my wall.

Why would it be illegal? If they're stupid enough to have **** available for Joe Q Public to see - that should weigh into your hiring process.

Discrimination laws. When conducting an interview we were instructed my HR not to take notes, because anything written can become discoverable. You can get sued if someone can prove they were discriminated against in an interview.

For example, I don't want to hire any alcoholics since they like to show up to work hungover and are generally in poor helath (bad for insurance costs). I see that you like homebrew, so you must be an alcoholic and I throw away your resume. That's discrimination.

Maybe I'm racist. I check out your facebook page, and maybe you kinda look Irish. I hate the Irish, so your resume goes in the trash. Also discrimination, also illegal.

Discrimination laws. When conducting an interview we were instructed my HR not to take notes, because anything written can become discoverable. You can get sued if someone can prove they were discriminated against in an interview.

For example, I don't want to hire any alcoholics since they like to show up to work hungover and are generally in poor helath (bad for insurance costs). I see that you like homebrew, so you must be an alcoholic and I throw away your resume. That's discrimination.

Maybe I'm racist. I check out your facebook page, and maybe you kinda look Irish. I hate the Irish, so your resume goes in the trash. Also discrimination, also illegal.

I guess I can see that point - but I also know as a supervisor, it's your job to make sure you hire the right person....

If you do a reference check and it comes back "bad" - is that discrimination? I don't think there's any laws about whom you choose to pursue as a reference - if I choose to use facebook.com, more power to me. ;)

Is there a specific law? I am told that a number of organizations are checking facebook pages during the hiring process. A number of companies do background checks much like we go through in the military to get our Secret and Top Secret clearances.

I went to a "pitfalls of social media" seminar a marketing firm hosted in D.C. that went into great detail on who checks social media pages and why. You would be amazed at how well "Oakley" is doing utilizing social media. You would be really amazed at what more than a few companies are using for direct marketing using facebook.

Verizon was another company that was highlighted. It makes sense to me. If someone is going to search your company out and "Like" it they are a great audience for direct marketing and discounts designed to increase brand loyalty.

I don't do Facebook. If I want to speak with friends I'll call them or email them. Otherwise, stay outta my bidness.

I have never joined any of those social media sites. I have zero interest in people knowing about me or finding me. If they are important enough to need to talk to me, then they already know other ways to contact me.

I opted out because it works. It does EXACTLY what it is intended to do, it connects you to your friends and to past aquaintances. Which is why I closed my account.

Crosses paths with an old schoolmate and we got chatty. the casualness of the conversation was too much for the wife. Account closed.

i'm a FB whore. i'm on it probably 70% of the day. i'm on it right now. i don't care if you don't have a facebook. but if you did, you'd be a lot cooler. :drunk:

but seriously, i've honestly never understood the whole "i don't want people to find me" thing, or "i like to keep my private life private", and all that stuff. i WANT to be found. i like being found. maybe it's because i live an exciting, sexy life, and am proud of my family, friends, and life accomplishments. maybe it's because i'm so much of an extrovert, that if you looked at me really hard, my extrovertness is pushing out so hard it looks like i'm an intravert. maybe it's because i'm young and hip, and like to look at girls being sluts in pictures they post. maybe it's because i understand how facebook works and make my entire page private, and don't post "dumb ****" that i don't want other people to see. maybe it's because i really don't care if the whole world sees it, because i yam what i yam, and what i yam, is most likely the afformentioned "dumb ****". .

i like FB because i can be drunk at 2am, and post "hey i'm drunk, wooo! someone bring me taco bell!", and then 20 of my friends show up at my bar, and they have taco bell.

No. There is no progress on Facebook. Only useless, inane banter. Unlike this great forum :drunk:

You can't deny a friend request or "unfriend" someone without offending said idiot.

So your page becomes bloated with idiots who don't work, or live with their parents or both.

If you were to be a heartless dick and just allow people who are close and who you can trust, it might be OK.

I use it for what other folks use the twitter for, since that's what most of my family uses. Mostly for me it's just a keeping in touch tool.

He's on it right now .....and he wants to be friends!

creepy.jpg

IMHO if you feel the need to post stuff on those places to me its pure VANITY. Look at me!! Who cares if your dog jumped or your baby made a doody. Mind your own business. :mug:

I gave it an honest shot - I used it actively for about 18 months, posting status updates, pictures, and interacting with others' pages. The Event planning features are kind of nice, but ultimately I found that the people I cared to interact with were people I normally dealt with in real life anyway. That and all the damned 'noise' there - I don't give a flying f*** about your farmville farm, and I don't care about all those annoying survey results showing that you and Angelina would be a perfect match.

I also find that there are too many strangers and vague acquaintences that want to 'friend' you - people who you may have had a 15 second conversation about the weather, or friends of friends of friends who might have once attended the same social event as you. Or, worst still, co-workers (not that I have anything against my co-workers - I don't *dislike* then, and some are even genuine friends, but most are just a half-step above complete strangers)

Oh - and I will *NOT* friend your pet's facebook page, or your unborn or infant baby's. That's just stupid.

A lotta bashing on here by people who don't know much about facebook. I'm 41, I demand massive privacy, I don't care for people much, and I have an account.

All stupid apps, people comments and the like can be blocked. I ONLY friend out of state relatives(the ones I care about) and a few close friends, that's it. I could care less about other's feelings or the long line of friends request.

It only suck's if you don't know how to use it.

A lotta bashing on here by people who don't know much about facebook. I'm 41, I demand massive privacy, I don't care for people much, and I have an account.

All stupid apps, people comments and the like can be blocked. I ONLY friend out of state relatives(the ones I care about) and a few close friends, that's it. I could care less about other's feelings or the long line of friends request.

It only suck's if you don't know how to use it.

+1. Except I'm 42. :)

Back