American Lager Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys,

I know this is a very old thread, but I would like to make this my first true lager AG brew. I'm trying to find two recipes with similar profiles. I'm thinking this one and perhaps something like a Guinness Blond if I can find such a recipe.

My point for this post is, I was wondering if the original recipe reflects the changes you have made along the way, or should I dig deeper to find the closest clone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have indeed tried the search feature, but it turns up so many different recipes that I don't know which one to believe. I'm looking for a true, time tested clone.

Ken

Coworkers have been bragging about this beer, so I figure I'll give it a try.
I'm wondering the same thing as bigken462.
Is this the recipe or does the group suggest another.
This will be my attempt from reading all the posts:

Yuengling Lager Clone 2.5
5Gals.
Primary 11 days @52
Secondary 8 weeks low 40's
6#s 2row
2#s maize
.5#s Munich
.5#s lb Rice Hulls (soaked in warm water)
.5#s 80L
.5#s carapils

1/2oz Clusters @60min
1/4oz Cascade @30min

Saflager dry S23 yeast (Pre-started on Stir plate from wort about one pint)
Mash in at 150 for 90mins (4 gals)
Mash out at 168 for 10mins (3.5 gals)
Hoping to get close to the lager effect, did the Yuengling Brewery tour yesterday!
Will post updates, suggestions welcome. :mug:

I have been working a recipe of my own based on shadows69 's recipe. My contact worker who drank loads of it through college felt it was actually better. I had it side by side and you couldn't spot the difference.

Yuengling clone
4# 6 row
2.25# 2 row
2# flaked corn
1# Munich (10L)
14oz crystal 80

.5oz Cluster fwh
.4oz Cascade fwh

Saflager 34/70

With just 30 minute boil. I used the light colored and malty profile from brewers friend and built the water from distilled.

I fermented following the brulosopher fast lager technique.

I finally got around to brewing this one a few weeks back.
It is in the secondary now, just finished the d rest and is cold crashing.
I plan to rack onto gelatin in a day or so, and keg it 2 days after that.
Then keep it at 34°F for for at least 3 weeks.

I'll post some photos when it's finished.

I did a batch with crystal 60 and one with crystal 85, and to me the crystal 85 tasted noticeably too dark.

I have been working a recipe of my own based on shadows69 's recipe. My contact worker who drank loads of it through college felt it was actually better. I had it side by side and you couldn't spot the difference.

Yuengling clone
4# 6 row
2.25# 2 row
2# flaked corn
1# Munich (10L)
14oz crystal 80

.5oz Cluster fwh
.4oz Cascade fwh

Saflager 34/70

With just 30 minute boil. I used the light colored and malty profile from brewers friend and built the water from distilled.

I fermented following the brulosopher fast lager technique.

I've used this one a couple times without the fast lager or water building and was very happy with it, so thanks for this!

I'm glad someone else is enjoying the recipe! I spent a fair amount of time working it out. It's exactly what I wanted

This will be my attempt from reading all the posts:

Yuengling Lager Clone 2.5
5Gals.
Primary 11 days @52
Secondary 8 weeks low 40's
6#s 2row
2#s maize
.5#s Munich
.5#s lb Rice Hulls (soaked in warm water)
.5#s 80L
.5#s carapils

1/2oz Clusters @60min
1/4oz Cascade @30min

Saflager dry S23 yeast (Pre-started on Stir plate from wort about one pint)
Mash in at 150 for 90mins (4 gals)
Mash out at 168 for 10mins (3.5 gals)
Hoping to get close to the lager effect, did the Yuengling Brewery tour yesterday!
Will post updates, suggestions welcome. :mug:

I have been lurking this page for a long time, and I now have a robobrew, fermenter and accessories, and am preparing for my brew day. Can you elaborate on the brands of those malts you used? I'd like to replicate what you used.

My friend who is a brewer who I ask all my questions because he really is into the science and chemistry behind brewing, has made the following points :

-don't add the caramel malt(that's what the 80L is right?). he says, not good for light lagers.
-Carapils doesn't do anything, don't add.
-You don't need rice hulls at all, especially with any kind of BIAB system (Robobrew included).

What do you think it would end up with those 3 omitted?

thanks!

My Recipe, ended up going with the full Shadow recipe save for rice hulls. I think next time I will get adventurous and try my changes above, if I can get some input on those thoughts :

6 lb Briess - Brewers Malt 2-Row **Screwed up, should have been 5lb. oh well, more alcohol :)
2 lb Briess Maize
.5 lb Briess Munich Malt 10L
.5 lb 80L
.5 lb Caramel Pils

Hops :
.5oz Cluster hops 60 min
.25oz Cascade hops 20 min
Yeast : Fermentis Saflager 34/70, ONE packet.

Strike water, 159 degrees, 4 gallons. Mash in, set temp to 150.
Sparge water at 168, used Sous vide to maintain temp before sparge.

Notes :
fermented at 65 degrees. I was going to pitch at 65, then ramp it down to 53. My brewer friend was worried the yeast might go dormant from doing that, and based on others' experiences and Brulosophy experiment with 34/70 at a very high temp(85 degrees I think, I fermented/diacetyl rest all in one before cold crash.

Did not have any additions during ferment, so no secondary.

my sparge took forever. I ended up somewhat stirring the mash to get the sparge water to flow better. I think I'll use some rice hulls next time lol.

My post boil gravity was 1.056. Didn't realize until I looked at my recipe later, I added an extra pound of Briess. Taste is still on point, just more alcohol. oops! 1 less pound of 2-Row next time!

Used a stainless steel chiller that came with the robobrew with a cooler ice bath and 1/4 HP pump. the pump was great, I estimate it at around 180gph. Pump test : Pump test showing flow returning to cooler :

The pump I used :
https://amzn.to/2OXz2cP

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve got a keg of this that is approaching crystal clear (without fining!) and the color is spot on. See below; Yuengling on the left, mine on the right.

That said, I overshot my gravity due to higher than expected efficiency. The balance is, therefore, off and the hops take a serious back seat. Additionally, drinking this side-by-side with the real thing, mine is missing the yeast character and slight sulfur nose of Yuengling. I used 34/70, and I intend to try WY2112 next beer to see what I discover.

Thanks again!

69E05AD5-BC4B-4BCF-9C6B-DFCCC7B6B042.jpeg

Back