Munich good substitute for Vienna??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents.....
If it were me in your situation, I would go with 1 pound of munich and 1 more pound base malt. 2 pounds of munich may be to much.

Hate to perform CPR on this thread but is it generally recommended to split the amount of Munich when substituting for Vienna?

Hate to perform CPR on this thread but is it generally recommended to split the amount of Munich when substituting for Vienna?

Munich is darker in color and deeper in flavor that Vienna. For small amounts it probably doesn't matter much but by blending the subbed Munich with pilsner or pale malt instead of going 1:1 for the Vienna you will get a little closer to the color and flavor.

Thanks Ed. I was looking to brew BierMunchers Cenntenial Blond but I'm out of Vienna but I do have Munich. The recipe calls for 1/2 pound Vienna.

Thanks Ed. I was looking to brew BierMunchers Cenntenial Blond but I'm out of Vienna but I do have Munich. The recipe calls for 1/2 pound Vienna.

For that kind of quantity I wouldn't worry about. Just go with a half pound of the Munich. The overall difference in color and taste in a five gallon beer will be small. :mug:

Latest posts

Back