Well, they say that, but . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybenaut

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have a running gag in our family that goes, ". . . Well, they say that, but . . ." It started with a trip we took to Thailand with our son. Before we left I asked sonny-boy whether he contacted his credit card company to let them know he'd be using his credit card out of the country. His response: "Well, they say that you need to do that but I've never had my credit card declined over there." His credit card was declined the first time he tried to use it. And things went on like that from there.

I used to brew many years ago but I've forgotten a lot of what I learned, and didn't really know that much in any event. So my question as a re-newbie is this: What are some examples of things that you must, must, must do, and what are some things that "well, they say that" you must do but you can get away with not doing?

Totally off topic but what kind of dog is that? We have one that's part beagle and part we-don't-know-what that looks very similar. Especially the red & white coloring.

I'm probably going to catch hell from other members for this, but I'd say making a yeast starter. I've never used one on my bigger beers (doppelbocks, strong ales, etc.) and they've all fermented quickly and fully.

I'm probably going to catch hell from other members for this, but I'd say making a yeast starter. I've never used one on my bigger beers (doppelbocks, strong ales, etc.) and they've all fermented quickly and fully.

Yes, I'll disagree with that. On my "must do" list is yeast/fermentation management. Nothing (except cleaning and sanitizing) matters as much in making good beer. This includes:

1) pitching happy and healthy yeast in sufficient quantity - that can be done by pitching multiple vials, making yeast starters or using dry yeast; this is one of the very best reasons to use dry yeast, in my opinion

2) making sure the wort is oxygenated, by pouring through a screen, or rocking back and forth, adding pure O2

3) manage fermentation temps - low 60s for clean yeast profiles for many ales

Yes, I'll disagree with that. On my "must do" list is yeast/fermentation management. Nothing (except cleaning and sanitizing) matters as much in making good beer. This includes:

1) pitching happy and healthy yeast in sufficient quantity - that can be done by pitching multiple vials, making yeast starters or using dry yeast; this is one of the very best reasons to use dry yeast, in my opinion

2) making sure the wort is oxygenated, by pouring through a screen, or rocking back and forth, adding pure O2

3) manage fermentation temps - low 60s for clean yeast profiles for many ales

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be mistaken as saying, "yeah whatever, just throw the yeast in there and everything will be fine." I do #1 to the extent of making sure my yeast is properly rehydrated, pitching at the proper temps, and using extra yeast for high OG readings, and I follow #2 & 3 every time. But as far as making a starter ahead of time, some people do it religiously for every batch. I never have and don't think I've suffered for it. Could just be that my stuff tastes like crap and no-one's been polite enough to tell me though. :D

Totally off topic but what kind of dog is that? We have one that's part beagle and part we-don't-know-what that looks very similar. Especially the red & white coloring.
We don't know with 100% certainty, but we *think* he's a beagle-jack russell mix. We got him at the pound about five years ago; animal control had picked him up as a stray, so they didn't know anything about him. We think he's part jack russell because we have a friend who has a full jack russell that looks almost identical except with shorter ears, more white than red, and none of the hound ticking that our dog has on his forelegs (and is a little smaller). Our dog also has a lot of the personality traits of a jack russell. He's the best dog in the history of the universe.

What are some examples of things that you must, must, must do, and what are some things that "well, they say that" you must do but you can get away with not doing?

Must, must, must do: Clean, clean, clean (cold side).
"Well, they say that": Clean, clean, clean (hot side).

Since you brewed a long time ago and now you're just getting back into it, you probably don't know that you don't need to rack to secondary anymore. Beer yeasts have greatly improved and there is little risk of autolysis in the volumes that homebrewers produce.

My Beagle from the shelter:

My Beagle mix from the shelter (we think Dachshund):

Obligatory:

il_fullxfull.351886456.jpg

drainbamage said:

I agree 100%. While I nearly always make a starter, it's far from being a must! Plenty of awesome beers have been brewed without a starter.

I thought some Jack Russell...

Here's our dogs, we used to live on a farm and they followed my wife home on her birthday so we kind of had to keep 'em. We did check around to see if they belonged to any neighbors. We're almost certain they are litter mates.

IMG_1798.jpg

Since you brewed a long time ago and now you're just getting back into it, you probably don't know that you don't need to rack to secondary anymore. Beer yeasts have greatly improved and there is little risk of autolysis in the volumes that homebrewers produce.
Last time I brewed was about 15 years ago. I didn't do a secondary fermentation back then because I didn't know you were supposed to. :) Now I'm going to do it for clarity. I have the room and the time (and hopefully the patience).

Last time I brewed was about 15 years ago. I didn't do a secondary fermentation back then because I didn't know you were supposed to. :) Now I'm going to do it for clarity. I have the room and the time (and hopefully the patience).

Cold crashing is a heck of a lot more effective than transferring to secondary. Or using gelatin. Or using whirlfloc or polyclar or even irish moss works better than transferring to secondary.

LandoLincoln said:
Cold crashing is a heck of a lot more effective than transferring to secondary. Or using gelatin. Or using whirlfloc or polyclar or even irish moss works better than transferring to secondary.

+1. Time clears beer, not racking.

Back