Costco selling Brewing Gear and Extract Kits??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool. It's slightly cheaper than Austin Homebrew's clone kit, but Costco's is DME vs. AHS's LME.

Too bad it's online only. I'd love to be able to go to my local Costco and pick this up.

Wow it comes with a pot and a kit? That's not bad for $100.

Hard to say about the quality of the addons (capper, hydrometer etc.).

But for $100 that's not a bad deal.

If they had it B&M I might grab one just for the extra supplies.

Not bad. Shipping is included too. No yeast though.

Delivery not available to Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah and West Virginia addresses.

Up here in Canada, Costco has been selling mostly Wine kits but there has been some beer kits in the past.

But in all fairness, it is much more fiscally viable to Homebrew here in Canada, since a case of 12 beer such as Budweiser or Coors costs about $20 and my homebrew costs me about $3.35 per 12.

:mug:

dp

Up here in Canada, Costco has been selling mostly Wine kits but there has been some beer kits in the past.

But in all fairness, it is much more fiscally viable to Homebrew here in Canada, since a case of 12 beer such as Budweiser or Coors costs about $20 and my homebrew costs me about $3.35 per 12.

:mug:

dp

I went north for a week earlier this summer... ended up burning most of our vacation budget on beer. It really is outrageous for you folks!

As far as the "cold beverage dispenser" goes, I'd be wary. Trying to cool warm liquid with a TEC as it flows at a decent rate is going to be hard. The thing only CONSUMES 70w... so you'll get considerably less heat removal from it. Water holds a lot of heat, I doubt you'd be satisfied with something like that. For $200.. just get a fridge.

It would seem that the bottling is done through the Autosiphon?!?!

It does not mention a spigot or either of the buckets being outfitted with one.
Just a beer bottle filler(Easy flow).

Also, it is a shame that it includes a wheat kit for those of us that can not/should not have wheat. Kinda limiting.

It would seem that the bottling is done through the Autosiphon?!?!

It does not mention a spigot or either of the buckets being outfitted with one.
Just a beer bottle filler(Easy flow).

Also, it is a shame that it includes a wheat kit for those of us that can not/should not have wheat. Kinda limiting.

Yeah, I would add a spigot to the bottling bucket and attach the filler with a short piece of host.

i <3 costco, nice to see that they sell stuff for my new hobby.

that kit is actually pretty awesome since a pot by itself would go for around $40

This is actually a benefit to the homebrewing community as a whole, regardless of the overall quality of the product. A 5 gallon equipment kit is finally available in a "regular" store. This has the potential to bring quite a few more people into the hobby, esp if they start making these kits available in Costco retail stores. Kind of like Mr. Beer, people will start using these kits and then probably want to upgrade. They'll join HBT and then they'll start buying stuff from Austin Homebrew Supply. :rockin:

I got pots that look like that at Family Dollar for like $10 each. As to the rest of the kit, you get the 6 gallon buckets as opposed to the larger fermenting bucket that I got with mine. (I also got a pottling bucket) and I got a 5 gallon glass carboy for $130 total. It's cool that we can get stuff like this from out suppliers and it can only mean more business down the road for the LHBS but it's by far no spectactular deal.

Costco was where I got my first exposure to brewing. They were having a sale on a 1 Gal Craft a Brew kit and I decided, what the hell, let's give it a try. Was right around 30 buck if I remember correctly (about 10 years ago)....

Must not have been too profitable for Costco because they no longer sell any of this stuff. Though I did find 2.5 lbs of beer battered onion rings for $12.

Fwiw, I bought my first home brew starter kit at Home Depot.

For the sake of the hobby, I’d rather support LHBS or even large, online home brew suppliers whenever possible. Although I understand Costco may be an important option for some, depending on where one lives.

Back