Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone out there in CyBeer land use a refractometer to check gravity? I bought one and it worked great to check my original gravity. But either it is not good for checking final gravity because of the alcohol or my IPA didnt ferment all the way and I'm going to have a nasty sweet beer. The problem is that I broke my hydrometer the last time I used it, so I am turning to you. Does anyone know if a refractometer can be used the check final gravity?

A hydrometer cannot check final gravity. And I believe you have to do a bunch of calculations I believe if you want final G

There are some conversions that claim to be able to allow using refrax for FG, but it's debatable. Just use your hydro for FG. The really nice thing about refrax is being able to take readings without waiting for a whole tube of sample to cool - the few drops that a refractometer needs cools almost instantly, so it's great for checking gravity while sparging, and during the boil.

here is the download spot for the MoreBeer spreadsheet.
I have double checked it against hydrometer FG readings for 3 batches now and it has been spot on.
If you don't have Excel, there is openoffice.org for free.
Otherwise, all the common brewing software programs have the same calcs and are about $30

I always use a refractometer for checking final gravity (and starting gravity), and it's been spot on with the appropriate calculations. I've even checked it against a final gravity hydrometer (shorter scale than a regular hydrometer), and their readings agree.

-Steve

Damn, I never saw that spread sheet. Sweet!

I love my refrac. and use it many times during a brew session. It's one of those purchases that makes you really happy. Knowing exactly where you are during every phase of brewing is very beneficial IMO.

KD

I use mine for the OG, and it works just fine. I never trusted it for the FG, but I've checked it with the Promash calculator. With low OG brews, it appears to be reasonably accurate, but with an OG > 1.07 (on the two samples I have tested) it was very inaccurate.

-a.

Back