DFH Midas Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wify has fallen in love with this beer, so being a good brewer, i figure I can either clone it or make it better. Only problem is the only recipie I can find is extract, and I have no clue if its even close. Anybody wanna help me out & convert this to AG & tell me if its workth trying? Thanks!!!

Midas Touch Clone
3.3 lbs. Briess light malt extract syrup
1.5 lbs. Briess light dry malt extract
3 lbs. honey (do not boil)
2 lbs. Alexander’s Muscat grape concentrate (do not boil)
0.5 teaspoon dry saffron (boil 15 minutes)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (bittering hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (flavor hop) (0.50 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs WLP500 (Trappist)
O.75 cup of corn sugar (for priming)

Any ideas what kind of honey? Any source for Alexanders Muscat Grapes?
thanks again,
Zac

It looks like you got the recipe from BYO. If you look at the link they have an all-grain option at the end.

http://***********/recipe/1011.html

Northern Brewer lists Alexander's Muscat Grape concentrate. I believe some other HBSes carry it as well.

I made a similar beverage recently using a little more honey and Chenin Blanc concentrate. Its still young and uncarbonated so I can't comment on the flavor yet. However it did take much longer to clear than my beers.

Craig

Craig,

Yes & no, thats the same recipie, but I don't think I lifted it from BYO. But thanks. AG would be a better way for me to go!

Can you give me an idea for which honey to use: http://www.northernbrewer.com/sugars.html I'll go ahead and make an order, I know LHBS dosent have the honey, the saffron or the concentrate.

Thanks,
Zac

Also:
Anybody got a good source for saffron? I can find a few places on the web, but the shipping eats me up. Any brew supply places have it w/free shipping? I checked the usual suspects with no luck. thanks again

z

I got saffron from my indian neighbors. I think they bought it either at an indian grocery store or brought it home with them on their last visit to india. Saffron will be expensive what ever the source.
Your best honey is a light flavored locally sourced raw honey. Clover or most wild flowers work just fine. I did not follow my suggestions and instead picked up a 5# jug from Costco. I'm kind of wishing I would have gotten the raw honey instead.

Craig

So I realize that I'm late to the party...But I'm going to attempt brewing this one this weekend. I must say this has been the most money I've spent acquire ingredients for a single batch of beer.

Any suggestions for what to do with extra Muscat concentrate?

Well yes, but I've never done any wine... Can I just dump the rest of it and some yeast in a jar? And does anyone have any suggestions on what type of yeast to employ in this endeavour?

Well yes, but I've never done any wine... Can I just dump the rest of it and some yeast in a jar? And does anyone have any suggestions on what type of yeast to employ in this endeavour?

I would wander over to the wine forum and ask those guys and gals. Or wait for Yooper to show up.

The mead forum might be a good source as well, muscat and honey fermented together sure would be interesting.

Havent brewed this yet, but I would think its a good place to start.

From Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione

8 lbs light liquid malt extract (75 minutes)
2 lbs clover honey (75 minutes)
0.25 ounce Simcoe (60 minutes)
10 saffron threads (end of boil)

White labs wlp001 or wyeast 1056
1 quart white muscat grape juice concentrate (3 days)

OG 1.086
FG 1.026
ABV 9%
IBU'S 12

Back