Random Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruDaddy

Reaction score
OK, I've got an IPA in primary and a few questions...

I am planning to dry hop with pellets. I've used whole hops previously, so this is first time with pellets. I recall some time in the past someone commenting that when dry hopping with pellets the beer sometimes foams up. Is my recollection correct? Is there anything I can do to avoid?

This is a fairly high gravity beer. OG was about 1.078. So I plan to keep it in secondary for a longer time. Should I wait to dry hop or is it OK to leave the hops in for 4-6 weeks?

Finally, this is the 'biggest' beer I've ever made at 1.078 so I've been reading up a bit. I think it was in 'how to brew' I read that with bigger beers, one should use less priming sugar. Anyone have any experience with this? Recommendations on how much to use?

Thanks

Don't worry about any foaming when you use pellets to dry hop. It is not an issue. You may be thinking about some brewers who experience boilovers when adding pellets to the kettle. Do not bother adding your dry hops until you are about a week or so from kegging or bottling, though.

I don't know anything about using less priming sugar, though, unless you think a lower carbonation level is appropriate for your beer or you think you may not have completed your fermentation. If the latter is the case, then I suggest doing what you must to complete fermentation, rather than guessing on what you have left.

TL

Latest posts

Back