New Brew Stand need some suggestions on hardware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mammal_brew

Reaction score
Well After a few years of brewing 5 gallon batches and perfecting some recipes I decided it was time to upgrade my system. So I surfed the internet looked at a million different plans trying to figure out what I wanted.

So after a few days I had a rough idea of what I wanted went and picked up some steel and got to work. After a few hours of cutting and welding and plenty of grinding left to do! I now have a new stand ready for hardware.

I built the stand so I can use up to 55 gallon kettles. I am planing on 26 gallon for right now but wanted to be able to do larger batches in the future without any hassles. I have ordered 2 Blichmann Tower of power Controls units that should be here today!

But Now I am at a loss for how I want the system to function. Do I do a RIMS or HERMS. I have 3 burners all ready and the control system for a RIMS setup but I am more concerned with the end product. What is going to yield me the most consistent results each time?

I know there are a million different views on this subject just hoping to get some more input before I order more goodies!

I know that fermentation control is key to the end product. I have this side pretty well figured out!

I am interested in the brew process only at this time and what I can do to help control the variables in this step!

Thanks for the help!
Mammal

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

I'm a big fan of gas fired, instant on instant off and flame control via the regulator. Rims and Herms are just a bit too exotic for my building and wiring skills. But thats just me, YMMV. I would tend to go with the system that requires the least investment or repurchasing of components. Just sayin......
Wheelchair Bob

Well if you already have a burner under the mash tun you can go with directly fired mash while recirculating with a pump. That would be the easiest and most likely cheapest route.

What are you planning on doing with the two tower of powers?

From what I have gathered is that RIMS, HERMS or direct fired can all give you consistent repeatable results as long as you have a way to control temperature.

A RIMS tube can step up temperatures faster than HERMS but some people claim scorching on RIMS tubes while others don't.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference. If I were you I would go with the direct fired mash tun since you already have 3 burners.

Back