American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05 (formerly Safale-56)
Yeast Starter
N
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
N
Lake Walk Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale
08.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 182.74 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.045 - 1.060)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
|===================#============|
Color: 8.8 (5.0 - 14.0)
|==============#=================|
Alcohol: 5.4% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 44 (30.0 - 45.0)
|================================|
Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Schedule:
Mash @ 153 60 mins

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.23

I've been brewing too many specialty beers lately. I need something to drink as more of a session beer, so I'm makin' up 15 gallons of this one. Here's the scaled recipe link.

Really looking forward to it - Lakewalk was AWESOME when I had it at Dude's house!

Funny you bumped this...I just tried a sample of the latest LWPA from the tap yesterday. Another good one. :rockin:

It is always a personal pleasure when someone brews one of my recipes.

I'm curious--how do you come up with your taste rating? I sure can't complain about a 45! Is that for real?

Dude said:
I'm curious--how do you come up with your taste rating? I sure can't complain about a 45! Is that for real?
It was a total WAG. BeerSmith's default is 35, so most of my recipes just say 35. I wanted to make a note of the fact that I like this one better than the average recipe, so I just arbitrarily added 10 points. If you like, after I brew it, I can make some more detailed notes, and actually rate it appropriately.

EdWort said:
I'm gonna have to try this. I need to get some toasted malt, wheat flakes, & simcoe and I'll be good to go.

I toast the malt myself--it is really easy. I toast it at about 275° for about 30 minutes, stir it halfway through.

The wheat is optional, I use it for head retention only.

I have about 100 lbs. of wheat malt, just not flaked. So I can toast 2 row pale myself. Hmmm. Add more character if you ask me. Thanks!

Dude said:
I toast the malt myself--it is really easy. I toast it at about 275° for about 30 minutes, stir it halfway through.
I was gonna ask you about that. I remember you mentioning it, and I didn't buy any toasted malt since I have plenty of 2-row on the way.

Unfortunately, I had to go with Cascade instead of Centennial. I'm really bummed about that, but AHS (quickest/cheapest shipping to NM) won't have Centennial in stock in time for my brew day. This brew is a bit of a rush job so I can get another few gallons going before a 3 week trip in Nov. I love Centennial and Simcoe, and I was looking forward to putting both in the same beer.

So, my review may be a bit skewed because of the substitution. I've had the real deal and can attest to its tastiness.

Yuri_Rage said:
I was gonna ask you about that. I remember you mentioning it, and I didn't buy any toasted malt since I have plenty of 2-row on the way.

Unfortunately, I had to go with Cascade instead of Centennial. I'm really bummed about that, but AHS (quickest/cheapest shipping to NM) won't have Centennial in stock in time for my brew day. This brew is a bit of a rush job so I can get another few gallons going before a 3 week trip in Nov. I love Centennial and Simcoe, and I was looking forward to putting both in the same beer.

So, my review may be a bit skewed because of the substitution. I've had the real deal and can attest to its tastiness.

Nope--I often use Cascade as well. In fact, in the latest batch, I used a Cascade dissolve tablet in the keg. That beer NEEDS the Amarillo and Simcoe together to be "Lake Walk". Next time I'm only going to use those two--no "C" hops at all.

Simcoe and Amarillo together are just awesome. No kidding, they give it a tropical fruity taste and aroma. I have had so many people ask me if I put a little bit of pineapple juice in my beer. That is awesome.

The IBU's seem high, but it isn't that bitter. I have people who won't drink SNPA, absolutely quaff this stuff.

I can't think of a better way to reverse my day/night schedule than brewing a batch of AG pale ale. Lake walk is all doughed in and I'm bottling my winter warmer at 3 AM. Should be halfway through boiling by the time the sun comes up. This rocks.

0300 AM: Doughed in w/30 lbs of grain.
0320 AM: 10 gallons of winter warmer bottled, Lake Walk mash smells awesome.
0350 AM: Heating the sparge water - mash is holding steady at 155.
0400 AM: Iodine test indicates complete conversion. Sparge water almost ready.
0500 AM: Sparge complete. Boil started. Smells wonderful.
0540 AM: Adding the Simcoe. I love that stuff.

Gotta recommend the Dude's SNCA clone. It turned out awesome, and absolutely crystal clear. It's so good, you could drink it year round. I might try this one next.

Dude said:
You are crazy!!!!!!!!!!

(but mad props to ya!!!) :rockin:

Gotta love those night shifts. Nothing like scrubbing pots and pans out in the driveway at 0400, half drunk, with Steve Miller playin' in the background.:rockin:

I'm getting a little druck on Lake Walk right now. This is one of the better beers I've brewed. If it hadn't finished so dry, it'd be THE best beer I've made. As it is, it's a little thin on body. I probably mashed a little low. No worries, I can drink it all night!

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm getting a little druck on Lake Walk right now. This is one of the better beers I've brewed. If it hadn't finished so dry, it'd be THE best beer I've made. As it is, it's a little thin on body. I probably mashed a little low. No worries, I can drink it all night!

Mine alwys finishes really dry too. I mashed at 153 on the last batch and it was better. I also need to dry hop the latest one one more time.

...and for a real score:

Appearance: 7
Mine's still cloudy, mostly because it needs to settle a bit - if it were clear, any lost points would be made up. Nice frothy white head with good lacing. Wonderful golden color.

Aroma: SOLID 10!

This beer smells heavenly. The Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade hops work VERY well together. Simcoe dominates the aroma with that signature pineapple overtone, but grapefruit and orange are quite prominent as well. Just a hint of malty goodness in the background.

Flavor: 8.5

Just a little thin, but that allows the hops to shine. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate with a slight grassiness on the finish. The flavor is sweet, strong, and citrus up front, a little malty in the middle, and a touch dry and bitter on the finish. Balance tips the scales a little on the hoppy/bitter side, but I like that.

Mouthfeel: 6

Carbonated at 2.5 volumes - works nicely. Just a little too thin. A higher mash temp, a bit more light crystal malt, or some maltodextrin would be welcome.

Overall drinkability: 9
This is easily one of the best American pale ales that I've ever had. Sessionable for sure, but it keeps your interest with the complex hop notes. Great beer!

SCORE: 40.5

I am interested in trying this recipe based on the reviews. I have never used this yeast. Has anyone substituted it for this recipe? Is it readily available? How would it differ from say Wyeast 1272?

Thanks in advance
KD

Dude said:
The IBU's seem high, but it isn't that bitter.
Funny you say that, I was just plugging this all into BeerSmith and it's quoting me 61.1 IBU - are you using leaf or pellet hops? I may need to adjust for that, I use pellet.

Can't wait to try this soon!! Thanks for the recipe!

chriso said:
I was just plugging this all into BeerSmith and it's quoting me 61.1 IBU - are you using leaf or pellet hops?
I've got it plugged into BeerSmith at 45 IBUs with all pellet hops (though I substituted mostly leaf when I actually brewed it). IIRC, I scaled it up to 15 gallons without much (if any) tweaking from the original. I did adjust for the actual AA of the hops I had on hand:

Amarillo: 8.9%
Simcoe: 14.4%
Cascade: 5.0% (substituted oz for oz for Centennial - won't affect IBUs considerably since it's only added at 5 minutes and later)

Ok, maybe I did more tweaking than I previously thought. It looks like I cut the bittering additions by a bit in order to maintain 45-ish IBUs in BeerSmith. Here's my 15 gallon recipe:

http://yuri.rage.googlepages.com/lakewalk_ag.htm

Scale my version or just go with the original recipe above (BTP and BeerSmith calculate IBUs differently). Either way, it'll turn out to be a fantastic beer.

Cool, thanks! (Now I just gotta wait till LHBS opens again from inventory, so I can get me some more buckets!)

Well, now I am confused. I get 60.3 in Beersmith, but I see that Dude's IBU's are much lower on his recipe sheet. Are you guys saying I should adjust the bittering hops to get to the 45ish range to faal withing guidelines for the style?

Thanks

korndog said:
Well, now I am confused. I get 60.3 in Beersmith, but I see that Dude's IBU's are much lower on his recipe sheet. Are you guys saying I should adjust the bittering hops to get to the 45ish range to fall withing guidelines for the style?
I did adjust the bittering additions, but it's not necessary (I attributed the "off" numbers to a scaling error, which I see now is not the case). The differences in the numbers are simply the differences in brew software algorithms. If you want to stay faithful to Dude's recipe, follow his, and accept that BeerSmith gives you a number outside the style guidelines. If you want to brew it the way I did, adjust the numbers. I was quite happy with my results, as was Dude, but I also had his original Lake Walk when I visited Virginia, and it was extremely good. Both recipe variations should give you a tasty end result.

Yuri_Rage said:
I did adjust the bittering additions, but it's not necessary (I attributed the "off" numbers to a scaling error, which I see now is not the case). The differences in the numbers are simply the differences in brew software algorithms. If you want to stay faithful to Dude's recipe, follow his, and accept that BeerSmith gives you a number outside the style guidelines. If you want to brew it the way I did, adjust the numbers. I was quite happy with my results, as was Dude, but I also had his original Lake Walk when I visited Virginia, and it was extremely good. Both recipe variations should give you a tasty end result.

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll try Dude's recipe and call it an AIPA.
Happy New Year.

Where the heck are you all finding Simcoe to brew this? Can't seem to find Simcoe or Columbus anywhere... Would love to give this one a try if I could only find Simcoe...

ohiodad said:
Where the heck are you all finding Simcoe to brew this? Can't seem to find Simcoe or Columbus anywhere... Would love to give this one a try if I could only find Simcoe...

Just bought some today my LHBS. They had plenty of Simcoe pellets and plugs.
homewinebeercheese in woodland hills, ca.

I eliminated Centennial from the hops additions recipe on the latest version. I will update the recipe if I find that it improves it.

The Amarillo and Simcoe work so well together, I figured why spoil a good thing by adding in another (and possibly unnecessary) variable.

After I dry hop it, I'll decide whether or not it is worth it. My calibrated taste-buds will tell me!

thanks for the update Dude. I pitched 6 days ago and i am at 1.014. First time using Safale 05; fast attenuation. Sample tastes great. Dry hopping this weekend.

Hey Dude,

Let us know how the adjusted recipe goes. I was thinking of doing just Amarillo and SImcoe. Did u up the hops on both to replace or just remove the centennial? Im looking for a nice tasty APA that would apeal to both me who loves hops and hops aroma and flavorr as well as my family who do not go for big hop beers at all..I was looking at keeping the IBUs down a bit and makin this, I obly have amarillo and simcoe..(which both are fantastic by the way):D

Jay

discgolfin said:
Hey Dude,

Let us know how the adjusted recipe goes. I was thinking of doing just Amarillo and SImcoe. Did u up the hops on both to replace or just remove the centennial? Im looking for a nice tasty APA that would apeal to both me who loves hops and hops aroma and flavorr as well as my family who do not go for big hop beers at all..I was looking at keeping the IBUs down a bit and makin this, I obly have amarillo and simcoe..(which both are fantastic by the way):D

Jay

That's my objective too. This one is for my wife who likes APA's. I think she is going to love this one. My samples are extremely cloudy. Has anyone else found this to be the case? I assume it's from the flaked wheat.

I have been dry-hopping for 10 days. How long before you generally keg this for consumption? I noticed 10/10 in the recipe. Also, as I mentioned earlier, this beer is extremely cloudy. I think I might have put in a bit too much wheat. Is this beer normally cloudy? Thanks
KD

Mine is just slightly chill hazed, but not particularly cloudy. It's a decent looking beer.

I started drinking mine fairly early - perhaps 4 weeks after brewing, and it was very good. The flavors were nice and blended, improving the overall drinkability a bit, at the 6 week point, and it's been pretty consistent since.

Yuri_Rage said:
Mine is just slightly chill hazed, but not particularly cloudy. It's a decent looking beer.

I started drinking mine fairly early - perhaps 4 weeks after brewing, and it was very good. The flavors were nice and blended, improving the overall drinkability a bit, at the 6 week point, and it's been pretty consistent since.

Ok thanks for that. Sample still a little green, but developing quickly.

I just kegged this morning. My wife and I tried a glass each, and thought it was nearly great at 27 days. Can't wait for it to chill out and stabilize. Really delicious. Simcoe/Amarillo great marriage! BTW, IBU not nearly what was computed in BS and PM. Well balanced as written in recipe. SWMBO thanks the Dude for this one.

KD

korndog said:
I just kegged this morning. My wife and I tried a glass each, and thought it was nearly great at 27 days. Can't wait for it to chill out and stabilize. Really delicious. Simcoe/Amarillo great marriage! BTW, IBU not nearly what was computed in BS and PM. Well balanced as written in recipe. SWMBO thanks the Dude for this one.

KD

Glad to hear it.

I think the recipe programs are a bit high, but I'd consider Amarillo and Simcoe both really "soft" bitterness hops. They show high alpha acids but don't have a harshness at all. They "talk big" in recipes as far as IBUs, but don't walk the walk.

I have a batch not too far behind yours that I racked over last night to some kegs. I'll have an update this week.

Back