Can I make an IPA out of these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
I need some recipe advice all!

I live overseas, and will be coming back to the states soon, and promised my wife I wouldnt be ordering any more supplies(shipping is expensive). I have about 6 months, should be enough time to get one more brew in, but I'll be working with just what I have on hand.

I started with Coopers kits, and sadly thats ALL I have left as far as malt extract goes, so its prehopped but I do have hops some hops on hand I wouldnt mind trying to turn out a IPA(cant buy them anywhere in Italy.)

On hand....
Fermentables:
2 x 3.5lb coopers traditional Draught prehopped
1/2 lb light dry malt
1/2 lb amber candy sugar
1 lb D-90 syrup
1/2 pack(think its a 1/2 kg) Brew enhancer 1
Honey!

Hops:
4 oz Cascade leaf (6%)
1 oz Chinook Pellet(11.8%)
1 oz Millenium Pellet(14%)
1/2 oz Hallertau Pellet(7.2%)
3/4oz New Zealand Motueka Pellet(7.1%)

Yeast
Safbrew S-33
2X Nottingham
Coopers crap.

Initially got the coopers to make their strong ale recipe, but not really pleased with the no-boil beer taste, wouldn't mind turning it into a 60 minute with a few extra hop additions.

So, any opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Looks like that coopers Draught is very lightly hopped - only 20 IBU. Let me say that I have no experience with pre-hopped extract, but I'll give a stab at it:

7 lb coopers liquid
1/2 lb light DME
1/2 lb amber candy sugar

.75 Millenium at 60
.5 chinook at 15
.5 cascade at 15
.5 chinook at 5
.5 cascade at 5
1.0 cascade flame out

Dry hop 1 oz cascade .75 oz motueka

I don't know what your equipment is but I'm getting about 49 IBU (I guess you just add the 20 from the pre-hopped?). I personally wouldn't use too much of the simple sugars you have there. I know the amber candi is a little odd in this but was thinking to give it a little color (and would be about 6.5% of the fermentables). Could maybe go with a little honey instead. I think you need one of them to get the ABV up a into IPA range but I don't know that I'd go much higher than 1/2 lb.

The important thing about IPAs is heavy hopping with a hop taste you like, and you can't go wrong with cascade, my second favorite next to tettnang. The only thing I can think of is that cascade is a highly floral hop with little actual taste. Might want to half that with a hop that has more of a taste to it. Other than that I'm sure it'll be good!

Thanks for the response,

According to the coopers site, 2 draughts and 300g sugar will have 6% ABV and plenty of cascade hop character(though i previously heard they used only pride of ringwood)

6-6.5% is pretty much what I am after, and sadly I am not well versed in my hops yet. I do know that cascade smells like heaven and the New Zealand every time I smell them I want to pour the whole thing in my mouth..... But thats it.

I like your recomendations, I will post something on the Coopers recipies page, maybe they can give me a little more insite on how the prehopped extract IBU's work.

Back