Where to sell guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
This might seem like a dumb question, but after my dad passed away he left me his guns. There are a few rifles and shotguns. I know how to shoot them, and I plan on keeping one or two but I don't need to hang on to all of them.

My question is, where do people sell preowned guns? And how would I even know what they are worth?

Gun shop or classifies section of your newspaper. Another good place would be that book of classified ads they sell at grocery/convenience stores (up here they it's called Uncle Henry's, there is one called Pennysaver; I don't know what the PA version is called).

Some gun shops will also do appraisals too.

Thanks broadbill. Do gun shops actually buy them, or is it a consignment type situation. Are there any precautions to take when selling guns (paperwork, etc) to cover my butt in case someone buys one and does something stupid with it?

These probably seem like dumb questions, but I have no experience buying and selling these things.

Thanks broadbill. Do gun shops actually buy them, or is it a consignment type situation. Are there any precautions to take when selling guns (paperwork, etc) to cover my butt in case someone buys one and does something stupid with it?

These probably seem like dumb questions, but I have no experience buying and selling these things.

Guns laws vary by state. I don't know about liability issues in PA.

The gun shops I know of (again different state) buy and sell, no consignment. Therefore, you will get less for it than if you sold it yourself.

I'd recommend getting at least a couple of appraisals if you think they are old or in any way unique or collectable.

I've called Browning and Savage to describe my grandpas/dad's guns and the historian actually asked me to ship my guns to him! I'm not interested in selling them, but the one thing he said if I take them to a gunsmith or collector, never sell one without getting several value estimates.

Long guns can be sold person-to-person in PA. Hand guns have to go through an FFL (gun shop) there is a transfer fee, I forget the exact amount but figure between (50-75) both parties have to have a background check. if either fail the guns have taken by the gun shop (some strange law) then I believe they can be transferred back.

edit +1 for Gunbroker to get a price. If you sell on gun broker they will have to go through FFL if out of state (both long guns and hand guns)

Try Backpage - http://www.backpage.com - it's like Craig's List that allows gun sales.

Check the sporting goods category, you'll find a ton for sale there. And unless you live in a small villiage, Backpage will have a location for your city.

Also keep in mind that if you sell your gun to someone in a different state, you can't ship it to them yourself. You need someone with a FFL to ship it for you (for a fee, of course).

I'll have too look when I get home tomorrow night. I'll post what I've got after I go through them.

This might seem like a dumb question, but after my dad passed away he left me his guns. There are a few rifles and shotguns. I know how to shoot them, and I plan on keeping one or two but I don't need to hang on to all of them.

My question is, where do people sell preowned guns? And how would I even know what they are worth?

PM me what shotguns and rifles you have, I may be interested. We can ship from dealer to dealer.

I would check gunbroker.com that way you can at least get a ballpark of what they are worth. When you get a appraisal make sure you get a buying price and a selling price. They are just like a diamond if you are buying its $10000, if you are selling the same think $5000

Remember most dealers/pawnshops are going to buy about 50% of the value. At auctions/consignment you will loose approximately 40% of the full price.

I am not aware of you local laws but your best bet is to sell them person to person slowly and give no impression that you need money. (Read that last statement as -You really don't care if it sells or not, not I need to sell this so I can buy a new _______)

You might want put the word out among your friends or your dads friends. Just like most of us brewers there is probably something of your dads that one of your/his buddies wishes that he had. Depending on you crowd (I'm sure you are fine) it adds a level of safety for you to the exchange vs selling to a complete stranger.

I got lucky, a neighbor had a 1911 I really liked, when he died (as expected) all his firearms were left to his son. But, in his safe was a notebook listing his guns with a note of who his son should give first, and sometimes second and third chance to buy in the event his son chose to part with something. I know a few of his guns found good homes with someone who had some attachment be it a hunting buddy, a neighbor (me) etc.

Back