Dry Hopped Weizenbock Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to brew a beer similar to Brooklyn's Hopfen Weisse. Below is the recipe I came up with. I know I should probably be using 50% Pils and 50% Wheat, but I have 10lbs of Pils on hand and only 5 lbs of wheat. Anyone think this will be a problem?

For a 5 gallon batch:

10lbs CMC Pilsner Malt
5lbs Dark Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 15

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ 10min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ 0min
1 oz Centennial or Cascade @ Dry Hop

Safbrew WB-06

Will 2 packets be needed for a final expected ABV of 8.5%? I am really looking for a nice heavy ale with a good wheat character and a nice bold hop flavor.

Anyone? I'm looking to pull the trigger on this now, brewing it for a friend of mine, don't want to screw it up.

It seems Wiezenbock is not too popular of a style around here. I did my first batch of it nearly three weeks ago and will bottle it soon.

My only concern, which you've addressed, is the ratio of barley to wheat. I haven't used dark wheat, will the five pounds give you the color you want? Also, I think dry hopping is probably out of style. By all means though, it is your beer so do what you want. What are the IBUs you expect to have with this beer?

It seems Wiezenbock is not too popular of a style around here. I did my first batch of it nearly three weeks ago and will bottle it soon.

My only concern, which you've addressed, is the ratio of barley to wheat. I haven't used dark wheat, will the five pounds give you the color you want? Also, I think dry hopping is probably out of style. By all means though, it is your beer so do what you want. What are the IBUs you expect to have with this beer?

What do you think the flavor will be like with this barley to wheat ratio? The dry hopping will be to try and imitate the Hopfen Weisse, which is a very hoppy beer.

Basically, I'm trying for a cross between an Imperial IPA and a wheat beer. Something new, maybe.

I think it could be very tasty. I brewed a hefe hopped like a pale ale over the summer, turned out very well (I used Amarillo and Cascade primarily). I think it was smart going with a paler weizenbock, avoiding the darker malts that are sometimes included. Haven’t used WB-06, but I’ve heard mixed things about it (I like 3068 too much to stray), 2 packs would certainly be the safe way to go.

Back