question on taking apart a fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrallison83

HapHazard Brewing
Reaction score
I have recently decided it is time to upgrade from dropping ice packs into an igloo cube to a real fermentation chamber. I am pretty handy and have decided to to make a mini fermoire... a fermbar if you will. As far as construction i think i have that pretty much covered, cooling i am still working on. I have an old mini fridge that i think would be perfect it still runs great even though the seals are crap. The compressor is easy to remove and i can see pretty all the elements except what is in the walls.

My question is how do i go about removing all the internals with no(or minimal) damage to the working order of the components and then does anyone have any suggestions on piping in that nice cool air?

thanks for your time guys this is my first post here and i must say this place is tops.

should start working on the frame in the next day or two will post some pics when i do.

reuben

I took apart a mini fridge to make a kegerator. You can check it out here - The pic of the fridge is here

I used an older fridge that had the condenser coil on the back, not in the walls, so it was easy to save. I just peeled the steel off the back, and used some aviation snips to cut the evaporator out from the inside.

I'm planning on building another kegerator into a buffet table that will hold 4 cornys. I got a kegerator for $50 on craigslist that is rusted out on the bottom, I'm going to use the components from it to cool.

I like the keezer's but want something that is a little more furniture like and doesn't take up as much space. (kinda like the fermoire)

hey guys thanks for the help!

my fridge is old and looks very similar foamenter's see it apart like that lets me know i don't really have too much to worry about. i guess now i can put my thoughts towards sealing the door and how to circulate the cool air. will update this with pics in the next day or two.

first day of work just had an hour to kill so i got started on the frame should have a few more hours tom to start sealing and insulating here are a few pics...
fermbar1-1.jpg

fermbar2-1.jpg

fermbar3-1.jpg

more to come sorry these are boring.

Back