Ale-washed Cheddar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, any update on this? My own beer cheese turned out rather awful, all things considered. I'm curious if a different ale would have been a better choice.

So, any update on this? My own beer cheese turned out rather awful, all things considered. I'm curious if a different ale would have been a better choice.

Mine has been aging since I made it. I'll pull it out (maybe tonight) and try it. Last I remember, it tasted fine.

I used a pale ale I think. Next time I'm going with a dark beer to get some of that cool coloration that I've seen in other beer cheeses.

I'd like to get a nice cheese before experimenting again. I might use what is left of the 2 gallons and make a larger cheese and quarter it before waxing/sealing (Got to remember to check that I have vacuum bags for the sealer!)

I had to abandon mine, as it developed dark green and white fluffy mold on the outside and inside of the wax.

It's a nice cheese, but nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't get too sharp, tastes just like mild cheddar from the store. I melted some on crackers and, for whatever reason, that's much more tasty than the plain cheese.

This cheese is about 5 months old.

_mg_0151-65549.jpg

It's a nice cheese, but nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't get too sharp, tastes just like mild cheddar from the store. I melted some on crackers and, for whatever reason, that's much more tasty than the plain cheese.

This cheese is about 5 months old.

_mg_0151-65549.jpg

Wow, awesome!

Back