Branching Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taiin

Reaction score
My goats are back in milk! I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on an easy, aged cheese? The problem is the house doesn't have a nice, cool cellar to age cheese in. So last year, all cheeses made were simple, soft vinegar cheeses kept in the refrigerator. Not that they weren't good, but I do personally love a good, hard, well aged cheese.

Can it be done at room temperature, or is that basically asking for spoilage?

It can be done if you vacuum package the cheese.

I'd think about a small fridge for temp control. Also useful for beermaking!

But I've aged cheddar in the closet where it's not too hot. Probably won't do that during the hot days of summer.

Thanks!

I do have a wine chiller fridge that doesn't get used anymore. That would bring cheese to a lower temperature. Would need to figure out if it will mess with humidity, though. Probably humidity would be too low in any form of refrigerator without some help.

During the winter the basement it might stay cool enough for cheese, but during the summer the temperature rises a bit (but still stays refreshingly cool, love it down there!).

I'll have to investigate a vacuum sealer! It would be useful for packaging up blueberries and whatnot at picking time too, in addition to cheese potentially!

I enjoyed my vacuum sealer when it worked. My grandma gave me her old Foodsaver and it still works. My Seal-a-meal gave up the ghost. Nice to have for certain things.

I think PassedPawn uses a container of water inside his freezer ferm chamber to up the humidity. I don't see why you couldn't do the same in a small fridge.

Almost like reverse incubating eggs, still needs the right temperature and humidity, just on the cool side.

Would you be able to recommend a simple cheese press? Seems to be a nessasary piece of cheesemaking equipment!

Almost like reverse incubating eggs, still needs the right temperature and humidity, just on the cool side.

Would you be able to recommend a simple cheese press? Seems to be a nessasary piece of cheesemaking equipment!

Back