New to list -- mango beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
After a decade, I've gotten back into homebrew with my own equipment.
First batch is Brewer's Best IPA.

I was thinking, for down the road, has anyone made a mango beer?

Any good recipe ideas?

:mug: :mug:

Well I grew up on a mango farm and know you can make really nice Mango wine, Mango Scnapps, and I've even made mango and apple cider. Never heard of mango beer tho!If you do happen across a recipe, please let me know. I have heard the words "Fusel oils" bandied about a bit when people talk about brewing mango but I will admit to knowing sweet ef ay to that part of things.
Good luck Cheers Alx

Welcome aboard the Love Boat! I don't see a problem with adding mango to a beer. Fusel alcohols usually occur with ferments that happen at too high a temperature or to low a pH so I doubt it's the mango that causes the problem. No idea of recipe for a beer - Alx's mango cider sounds good though!

Alx Rains said:
Well I grew up on a mango farm and know you can make really nice Mango wine, Mango Scnapps, and I've even made mango and apple cider. Never heard of mango beer tho!If you do happen across a recipe, please let me know. I have heard the words "Fusel oils" bandied about a bit when people talk about brewing mango but I will admit to knowing sweet ef ay to that part of things. Good luck Cheers Alx
How about some recipes? I have some blended mangoes (added honey to mangoes before blending) in the freezer that I'm waiting for (I need more) to make a mango mead later this spring.:D

Thanks for the nice words.

I'm going to put the Mango beer on hold for now (but still do some
research on it) while I brew on.

Just bottled tonight (this morning), Brewer's Best - kit - IPA, with
my beginner kit. I would say the "Ale Pail" for bottling needs some improvement.
The spigot is a little high, so you have to tilt the pail to get last two bottles
(though they ended up as "tasters" :cross: ).
I see the advantage of the conical container here.

I used the dishwasher as a rack for the bottles, picked that up
from our group
(see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=55903&mode=threaded#post55903 )
for example.

For next time, I think I will get rid of the bleach and switch to the iodine-based
sanitizer. I used to work in a food plant, that was the product of choice there.
Bleach is cheap, but, well, sort of noxious.

Yield was 1.5 cases + 5 growlers (ex-Rogue Hazelnut Stout -- now there
is a recipe I need to find!).

Next up will be something for summer.

-batch

Found a thread on the NB Forum with two mango beer recipes:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4389&highlight=mango

They suggest adding the mango to the secondary and they actually give some
reports on the final products too. They used 5 large mangoes.

I found one old post on Homebrew digest (1995) suggesting that 1-2 mangoes
was not enough to get the flavor, so that is consistent with the NB Forum recipe.

There is a commercial mango beer on Hawaii by Keoki -- anyone tried it?

-batch

Back