the term for when beer is left to long in a fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Thanks BSB!!!

I remember reading it in how to brew and it came up in discussion...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ok the story...

my boss homebrew from time to time, and he just found a fermenter with a "highly hopped" red ale in it. He thinks he brewed it about 9 months ago, said it looked fine, no mold, and wanted to know to keep it or trash it.

I told him to give it to me :shifty

You mean homebrewer's bogeyman, right? That thing that is in the lager section, yet every n00b quotes it like gospel, but never seems to notice that the last paragraph reads;

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

Yeah autolysis....

Why?

Ok the story...

my boss homebrew from time to time, and he just found a fermenter with a "highly hopped" red ale in it. He thinks he brewed it about 9 months ago, said it looked fine, no mold, and wanted to know to keep it or trash it.

I told him to give it to me :shifty

Ok Then...you need to send it to me.

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

(Or just erase my name and put your own in there....)

He was just curious. I try not to act like the n00b that I am...

Thats why I told him to just give me the whole thing :D

Autolysis? That's when the yeast start to cannabalize each other.
I see "yeast autolysis" only on homebrew sites with a definition of yeast undergoing cannibalism. Cannibalism is not autolysis. Autolysis is when a cell breaks itself down by action of its own enzymes, usually by releasing lysosomal enzymes into the cytoplasm. It can also be mediated by external factors, yadda yadda.

AFAIK, yeast (at the species used in brewing) do not cannibalize each other.

Latest posts

Back