Did I just build a bottle bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tax779

Reaction score
Primed up 3/4 cup (4 oz.) of corn sugar and 2 cups water for what I thought would be a 4.25 gallon batch.

As bad luck would have it I am in the middle of racking from the secondary to the bottling bucket and over half way through I get interrupted and have to stop. Turns out I need to leave the house. So, I move this to the fast track to get this all done and starting up again stirs up the crap on the bottom of the secondary, so to avoid sucking all that up I cut short how much I move to the bottling bucket. I end up with just over 3.5 gallons. For the amount that I ended up with tasty brew primer calculator said should use 3.2 oz of corn sugar. Did I just create three dozen plus bottle bombs? Or, at best gusher city?

If you get 3 weeks, you're probably safe.

Took 8 months for mine to blow. :D

Tax779 said:
I move this to the fast track to get this all done and starting up again stirs up the crap on the bottom of the secondary, so to avoid sucking all that up I cut short how much I move to the bottling bucket. I end up with just over 3.5 gallons. For the amount that I ended up with tasty brew primer calculator said should use 3.2 oz of corn sugar. Did I just create three dozen plus bottle bombs? Or, at best gusher city?

Firstly, hate your screen name...

Secondly, you're certainly going to have over carbed beer, probably signifigantly off style. Immediately, I think you'll be fine, but if you're worried, you might wanna stash them in the basement or garage. Bottle bombs are scary stuff. I kind of pushed them off to the back of my mind as "a big mess if I ever have some" but having had one go off this past few weeks... Scary.

Patience is a great skill to learn. I understand life happens, but when you rush, things like that happen. If there's doubt, it's often better to wait. This gets easier when you've got 40 gallons waiting on standby. :mug:

Back