need help fast!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan765

Reaction score
Hey guys I need help fast. I was beginning to brew and I had purchased the ingredients for a clone recipe. My recipe called for 3lb Extra Pale Extract and also 1lb Extra light DME. Well they sent me a 3lb bag of DME and a 1lb bag DME. (Photo attached) Is this correct or should one bag say "pale malt extract"? I'm confused.

20150729_192143[1].jpg

Hey guys I need help fast. I was beginning to brew and I had purchased the ingredients for a clone recipe. My recipe called for 3lb Extra Pale Extract and also 1lb Extra light DME. Well they sent me a 3lb bag of DME and a 1lb bag DME. (Photo attached) Is this correct or should one bag say "pale malt extract"? I'm confused.
Can you post the recipe ? Did it call for 3lb of dry or liquid malt extract?

I've got everything else but these 1 lb and 3 lb bag got me confused. Other times there's something that says "pale" in it when I buy the recipe.

If this is it, I found a list of the fermentable sugars here: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/M/Medalla-Light-Cervesa-1B.html#.Vbl2I_NVhHw

It states 3 lb of liquid malt extract (and then the rest of the sugars), so you're gravity might come in a little high if you add all of it. Depending on which estimate you want to use, the DME will contribute a certain amount of more fermentables than the LME. If you figure that 1 lb. of LME contributes about the same amount of fermentables as .8 lb. of DME, then you could add 2.4 lb. of the DME for the same contribution.

Any which way you go about it, I would take a pre-boil gravity reading to adjust the wort (either by adding more of the DME or more water, depending on which way you needed to go). The algebra is fairly straight forward: (Pre Boil Volume * Pre-Boil Gravity) = (Post Boil Volume * Post Boil Gravity). Just substitute the knowns and solve for the unknown. I also take a gravity reading after the boil and adjust if I need to. Of course, it is much easier to adjust if the post boil gravity comes in too high as opposed to too low.

Back