Steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager a while ago when my basement was still in the upper sixties in the daytime. I used White Labs Southern German Lager. It's been in the secondary in a fridge for months now- and is very clear (I'm psyched!)
These were warmer temps than I would have liked for the primary-
Do I have a pseudo-steam beer here?
This will also be my first kegged beer- just as soon as Santa'wmbo drops a CO2 tank off for the collection of Corny's I've acquired.

Great- I have no idea what steam beer tastes like. (that can be remedied).
This was 1lb light munich, .5lb Muntons Lager, 6.5lb ELME, 1oz Northern Brewer (45min) .5 oz Hallertau and .5 Czech Sazz (five min remaining) and 1 Tsp (Or was it table?) Irish Moss with 15 min remaining. and of course the White Labs 838- Southern German Lager. I'm sure I got the recipe online some place.
When racking to secondary- I was amused with the taste. I didn't write down any gravity reading at that point in time- (might not have taken one) Original was 1.04? (should be taking clearer notes).
Regardless of category- (Lager, Steam or Frankenbeer) I'm happy with the the clarity and taste before hand- so I'm sure that I wont be disappointed. Ones does like to know what in the world they have concocted, though. So any more insight is welcome and appreciated!

steam beer was traditionally fermented at high temps, due to there being no real efficent way to regulate the temp back in the old west. it was generally casked beer that was krausened and shiped and served fairly young.

now a days we mostly have anchor steam to look towards, but that's just one recipe.

your recipe seems to be on target with malt, and hop additions. the ferment temps lend the most character to this beer, imo.

I brewed a 1554 clone earlier this year using WLP830 lager yeast, fermented in the mid 60's. Zymurgy did an article a few months back on doing just that and noting the flavor profile differrences from beer fermented at the recommended temps.

Your beer won't be a true lager but it will be beer, and judging from your initial tasting, will be good beer. I didn't get to hung up on trying to catagorize my brew, I just drank it and enjoyed it.

Your lager will just have more esters than it would have at lower temperatures. Doesn't mean it isn't a lager. The Common (steam) yeast is just a lager yeast that ferments cleanly at higher temperatures.

if you like the flavor, that's the main consideration.

Back