DC Group Grain Buy #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As buy #3 filled up quickly today, I am starting this thread to record your requests for the next group buy. Please feel free to request anything from the price list. If you do not have the list and want it, please let me know and I will PM you a link to download the latest prices. Again, we only have a limited selection, so if you want something not on the list let me know and I will try to get it added to the list. Cheers!

Put me down for
1 bag of Rahr 2 Row Pale Malt
1 bag of Rahr 2 Row Brewers Malt
1 bag of Pemium Pils

:mug:

If there's any unclaimed bags from the buy that just closed for any reason let me know.

I work in Gaithersburg so I'll PM you my number and help unload anytime after 3pm

Tony can you link me to the price list, I'm back in the country and looking to brew again!

Steve da sleeve

Doctor M: No idea. Three factors, all out of my control, determine when the grain arrives: 1) demand. people on this forum ordering the 40 sacks required for me to send in an order; 2) the buyer: once I get the order in to him, he has to get it to the wholesaler and this can takes days or even a week; 3) the wholesaler: he needs to receive and process the order, put the pallet together, arrange the shipment. This can take a week to even three weeks. On #1, demand seems high as we are at 20 sacks already in about 2 weeks. So this one may happen quicker as the summer is winding down and people are starting to stay home (and brew!) more. Or it could stall for a month...no idea. My advice is to get in on a buy and not worry about it again until your grain arrives. I periodically order on the buy myself and try to keep 3 months or more supply on hand in case a buy takes longer. I will PM you the list...

Thanks stone brewer, I received your pm.

Question: What is the difference between rahr 2 row brewers malt and rahr pale malt. I'm trying to brew the pliney 3.0 Version from bertusbrewery.com

I use both 2 row and pale and cannot detect a difference in them in the final product. Pale is a bit darker, but it is not more than another 1-2 lovibond. Some say they taste a bit more cracker or bread flavor, but my pallet is not sensitive enough to the flavor difference to tell a difference. YMMV...but I would buy the cheaper 2 row unless you just want to try pale for a change of pace.

Could you get me a price list and types of grains available?

I used to buy when Claphasma ran a buy, but I took a hiatus fr brewing. Back to the grimd now and need grain!

Thanks,

Mike

reddskinnfan: PM sent

We are at about 23 sacks on this buy, so over halfway there. A few people have told me they are going to order on this one, so if you are fence sitting, make a decision as I suspect it will close quick as school is about to start and people are spending more time at home, brewing. I think I will snag a few sacks this go around as well. Time to get the pipeline filled back up. Cheers!

Hi all - since you are all local to me I thought I'd let you know that I'm getting rid of my two fridges: one I use for fermentation - fits two 6.5 gallon carboys + two 5 or 6 gallon bb with some ingenuity. If you put in a shelf it could easily fit more ( I broke mine and haven't bothered to replace it.) pretty clean and a great temp controlled fermentation chamber if you add a controller.

I also have another I use for keg layering which fits maybe 5-6 ball lock kegs. I also use the freezer on this one to store my hops.

If you bring me a bottle of tequila for each and can pick them up one or both are yours!

Let me know soon b4 I put these on Craig's list.

Steve da sleeve

All: Talking to our buyer this week and he said that VA state sales taxes have gone up. I will have to update the prices based on this (tax rate went from 5% to 6%). Sorry to bear bad news...

That's 25 sacks. I am probably going to snag 2-3 sacks on this order as well. Planning on doing some serious brewing once I get back from San Diego!! Drinking a PtE clone right now that is soooo good! Double Jack is next, and then a barley wine and a saison.

Anyone interested in some small whiskey barrels? I have a lead on 8 gallon barrels for $140 each, plus shipping, if we can put together an order of 10. I am thinking I want one or two.

Oh, this one is moving fast.
Stonebrewer, please put me down for:

2 x Rahr Premium Pils
1 x Crisp Maris Otter

Thanks!

I'm in for 3 x Rahr 2 Row Pale and 1 x Crisp MO.

Would be interested in trying the Beech Wood Smoked...but like 11 lbs (1/5th of a bag). Long shot, but throwing it out there.
Or, again just throwing it out there, similar for Flaked Wheat or Carapils (just used the last I bought from Stefin).

stonebrewer said:
That's 25 sacks. I am probably going to snag 2-3 sacks on this order as well. Planning on doing some serious brewing once I get back from San Diego!! Drinking a PtE clone right now that is soooo good! Double Jack is next, and then a barley wine and a saison.

Anyone interested in some small whiskey barrels? I have a lead on 8 gallon barrels for $140 each, plus shipping, if we can put together an order of 10. I am thinking I want one or two.

Keystone Brewing sells 15 gallon whiskey barrels for $125, shipping is reasonable. Great deal, I have my 2nd beer (Barleywine) in it now. First one (Imperial Bourbon Barrel Stout) tastes amazing. But, it is 15 gallons, which is, of course a big volume. Just means I'll be able to bottle and have it on hand for years. :) I'll definitely pickup another of those when this one losses flavor. Shipping could be better purchased in multiples, no idea though.

Fritz: you got it bud! That puts us over 30 with what I am planning to buy.

Thanks stonebrewer. A few Qs:

• I saw that round #3 ended up with some odd substitutions from the warehouse, like Bohemian Pilsners or floor malted ones not being filled. Are they available now or are those gonna be a toss up again?
    I would want to do some Pilsners once the winter season arrives (brrrr, way too soon).
  • Did you mention the current orders are coming from a different supplier?
  • Last but not least, do you have a link to the new price and availability list?

In general, what do you guys do with the crystals and caramels? Is anyone in for a split on say C40, C60, C120, and Carapils? I would take a third or half of each.

Is there any rye malt around?

Hop season bulk buys:
Since the new hop season is right around the corner, is anyone interested in buying larger quantities, perhaps splitting larger (11#) bulk buys? I'm thinking... there must be a lot of us wanting to buy Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, and some of the other usual suspects we use lots of. I'm sure the price breaks and the savings on shipping are worth the time to coordinate our efforts. If there is any interest we can start a new bulk buy thread on that.

Hops, mailorder wise, I've only dealt with and bought several pounds from HopsDirect and those are definitely large pounds, and of excellent quality, both pellets and leaf. Some of the alpha acids were a bit lower than "standard BeerSmith," but flavor and aroma are right there. There are a few other "bulk sellers" we can order from.

Keystone Brewing sells 15 gallon whiskey barrels for $125, shipping is reasonable. Great deal, I have my 2nd beer (Barleywine) in it now. First one (Imperial Bourbon Barrel Stout) tastes amazing. But, it is 15 gallons, which is, of course a big volume. Just means I'll be able to bottle and have it on hand for years. :) I'll definitely pickup another of those when this one losses flavor. Shipping could be better purchased in multiples, no idea though.

Last year I saw barrels from a few sources being offered on the "for sale" forum. Don't recall what they were priced at. From what I've heard the essence is that the barrels were freshly/recently dumped. An empty barrel laying around for a year has lost most of its charm.

I'm not in the market for one yet, maybe next year. But it would be nice to get a sour barrel started...

I'm in for 3x 2-row and would be in on splitting some crystal. If/when the barrels are a go I'm in as well. If its too late I will get in on next order.

Thanks!
Carlos

I have a 55 lb sack of carapils that Stefin left me to sell (Best Maltz). So whatever you want of that sack you can have for a buck a pound.

I might be interested in some flaked wheat, but no more than 10-12 pounds as I only use that in one or two recipes.

No idea why the warehouse filled the order INCORRECTLY. They had all the info from me in an excel spreadsheet and the warehouse marked off that the pils was floor malted, when it was not. Mistakes happen, I guess.

No, I do not have a new price list. When I do, it will be posted here that I do and will just be popped into the same location with the same name as the current one, so don't lose that! Not sure what will change other than adding 1% sales tax so that NOVA can pay for roads.

Different supplier, but seems to have to the same limitations on ingredients? Not sure why. Maybe a bigger outfit bought the place, dunno. Sure not impressed with their first delivery with 4 of 40 sacks wrong, but we will see how they do over time...

Hops: I am not going to fool with them. If someone else wants to, I will buy some!

Back