Bottling after cold crashing : what temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Should I wait that the beer comes to room temperature before priming/bottling or is it pointless?

I have cold crashed for 3 days @ 40-50 F. (fermentation was @63)

I'm getting ready to bottle tomorrow after cold crashing around 45 degrees for two days. From what I've read, there's no advantage to warming the beer back up to room temperatures before bottling. In fact, that'd probably be detrimental since the yeast would have a chance to re-suspend before racking to a bottling bucket; that's the only reason for cold crashing, to get the yeast to settle out in the first place.

Good luck!

I cold crash and then bottle straight out of the fridge. I mix up the priming sugar according to a priming calculator based on the fermentation temp of the beer, not the cold crash temp. It works out perfect for me. Since I've been cold crashing I've noticed a lot less yeast settled at the bottom of the bottles too.

Another advantage of bottling cold: if you're not paying attention to the bottle as it's filling, the chill of the beer on your fingers will let you know when the bottle is almost full!

Back