No legs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
So, my wine has been in the bottle for two months, early I know but.. Shouldn't it still have some legs in the wine glass? Or does that happen later? It taste great though..

Negative. It has to do with the way the alcohol affects the surface tension of the wine. As long as your abv isn't changing the legs should remain relatively the same throughout the life of a finished wine.

brazedowl said:
Negative. It has to do with the way the alcohol affects the surface tension of the wine. As long as your abv isn't changing the legs should remain relatively the same throughout the life of a finished wine.

So what does it mean if there is little or no legs?

If the wine is dry with no legs it's probably low abv. It's harder to tell if the wine is really sweet because the sugars start to change the surface tension.

I find that if the wine is dry, the more legs the higher the alc content...but if an off dry wine the more legs corresponds with a higher residual sugar.

Back