50 foot 1/2 inch SS coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coil looks nice and uniform even when compressed down to 11". Looks like I purchased it that way. It took a bit of wrestling to push it through the device, however, I probably wouldn't motorize it unless you plan on doing a lot of coiling work. Thanks for pointing out the missing label on the flat steel. I'll edit and update my PDF.
Too bad you didn't see this post while you were in my area. I would have let ya borrow it. :)
Happy Brewing!

Here is a photo of the coil once compressed.
tightcoil.JPG

Description of what I coiled

This is a 50' coil of 1/2" O.D. (.020 wall) 304/304L Stainless Steel beverage grade tubing. Grade 304 is the most versatile and most widely used stainless steel available.
Bright Annealed
Tensile Strength PSI: 87738
Yield Strength PSI: 43749
% Elongation: 50
Hardness: B-75.5
Spec: ASTM-A269-08/A249/A249M-08/ASME-SA249/SA249M-07

I made a jig just like this and it worked great. My pulleys weren't an exact fit so I had to grind them down a bit using a drill and a file.

Good job on the instructional V.

Awesome work there V-twin!! I just finished drawing up something similar about a week ago. Bought most of the parts and now waiting to put it together. I may end up changing a few things based on your design. This one will go as small as 8" in diameter although that may be too much.

tubing bender.jpg

That's a great idea! Im burnt with spending every weekend building my system sooo.....

Would someone be willing to bend me 25ft of 1/2 inch stainless for a fee? I have been waiting for Texan but he has been busy and I'm almost done with my EHERMS build. I understand if no one can I've been looking for it to be about 11 to 12 inches in diameter so I can also do 5 gallon batches. If someone can please send me a pm. I havent purchased coil yet an have not drilled the holes in my keggles.

My only other option is to bend some refrigeration copper coil.

Thanks all

Just my experience. I purchased 50 feet of 1/2 inch stainless from nybrewsupply (linked to earlier). I had a lot of trouble initially trying to use a tube bender from harbor freight and also trying the method kal described. I ended up ruining about 10-15 feet. In the end I found with my wife standing on a bucket I was able to uniformly and effectively coil it to fit within a Keggle. It took some muscle and a few rest breaks to complete but only took about 10 minutes and with no kinking or tooling costs. I'm picky with my work and I'm happy with how it turned out.

So you have pics of your wife, the bucket and the keggle. I got to see this. LOL

cool..cheers

So you have pics of your wife, the bucket and the keggle. I got to see this. LOL

cool..cheers

Haha yeah that would be nice. Honestly her standing on top of the bucket telling me she was bored every minute probably made the project faster as I just wanted silence.

I love this thread. Seems there's a method for everyone. 1) Leave it to a professional Texan 2) Build an elaborate pulley system 3) Marriage strength building exercise. Hats off to all of you. :)

What kind of pulleys are those? I've done a little googling and don't know if I'm looking at the right stuff or not. I'm completely down for building one of these and either doing some recoiling for other members, or just reselling the rig to the next homebrewer to pass on. I can't think of a reason I would need to do this again...

Anyhow, thanks for the instructional page!

What kind of pulleys are those? I've done a little googling and don't know if I'm looking at the right stuff or not. I'm completely down for building one of these and either doing some recoiling for other members, or just reselling the rig to the next homebrewer to pass on. I can't think of a reason I would need to do this again...

Anyhow, thanks for the instructional page!

X2 on the pulleys. I went on a hunt for them today and came up empty at the local Ace, Sears, Home Depot and Lowes.

Nice design, bought all the other components to build it, just couldn't find the pulleys anywhere around these parts...

one thing that I would like to know, is what other bends can be made with it, like a "S" bend or how sharp of a bend ?90degs?

With a small 1/2 inch dia pulley, the one that moves, could you put the stock into it and get different bends?

Thanks

For the Pulley's I purchased mine here in California at Orchard's Supply Hardware. However, I found the ones I'm using on Amazon LINK:http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-each-Swivel-Pulley-T7550304/dp/B000I4FQQ6
Looks like you can get 5 of them for $30.70 (cheaper than what I paid for three).

Product Features:
Swivel eye
Single
3" sheave dia.
1/2" max. rope size
650 lb. working load limit

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Pulley's I purchased mine here in California at Orchard's Supply Hardware. However, I found the ones I'm using on Amazon LINK:http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-each-Swivel-Pulley-T7550304/dp/B000I4FQQ6
Looks like you can get 5 of them for $30.70 (cheaper than what I paid for three).

Product Features:
Swivel eye
Single
3" sheave dia.
1/2" max. rope size
650 lb. working load limit

Thanks for the follow-up and link.

Good ole' Orchard Supply. Loved that place when I lived in CA, we have nothing that carries the extent of it out here.

I wound up finding some pulley wheels from McMaster-Carr and ordered them. I'll have to fabricate the rest of it but that shouldn't be an issue for me.

Thanks again for your effort in making bending this tubing much easier and sharing it with this group, well done...:mug:

edit - follow up...I did find them at Agri-supply and Tractor supply also, not so local for me but easy driving distance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job V twin,

You got the three points of contact idea. Your rig is similar in concept to mine but my set up has machined dies specced @ 1/2" and a drive mechanic.

one thing that I would like to know, is what other bends can be made with it, like a "S" bend or how sharp of a bend ?90degs?

With a small 1/2 inch dia pulley, the one that moves, could you put the stock into it and get different bends?

Thanks

This jig really is only going to be good for coiling and/or large radius bends.

For those of you that need a diameter smaller than ~11" you will need to mod my design to give your hands more room to push the coil through. Here's an updated photo of my hacked up design. I also updated my instructions/PDF.
Now I have my coil down to around 9 1/2" giving me some more room to work with the coil in my HLT/Keggle.

Hope this is helpful!

TTubeBender.JPG

TBendSide.JPG

:mug:

Okay, so I jumped the gun and bought pulleys that I found at Northern Tool, but they weren't rope specific pulleys. They had a pretty deep "V" shape, but it supported the sides of the tubing, so I figured that would work well enough. After the first 5 or 6 passes, yes, it made the diameter slightly smaller, however the tubing was starting to take the "V" shape to the extreme. Almost decided to turn my own dies on my lathe, but thought that might take a while.

Second attempt I took apart everything and wound some string around each of the pulleys, I did not measure any of this, I was only trying to fill in the gap. If I had to guess, maybe 5 to 8 feet of string? I wrapped electrical tape around the string very tightly to keep it in place and make it smooth. I then took a scrap piece of 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD copper, probably 3 or 4 feet in length to test this out before risking my coil. We got that to about a 15" semi-circle in a few passes and it looked great, so back at it with the SS coil.

Worked awesome! Had to make a few adjustments mid-recoil, mainly because I didn't follow anyone's plans exactly, I understood the concept and just went with it. Needed to cut my adjustable bolt twice (knuckles were getting awfully close) and just like V-Twin, I eventually had to move the top structural bolts inwards and cut off the corners. As you will see I wasn't too interested in it looking very fancy (I'm not that great with a sawsall!) but did the trick beautifully! Thanks for everyone's input/help on here!

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

photo(3).jpg

photo(1).jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

anyone in the chicagoland area looking into building one if these? I thought if i went slow I could do it but the coil kinked 2 feet in and I dont feel like ruining a 50 foot coil for no reason

My coil arrived today from Texan. I don't know if he is taking more to coil but I can tell you it's cheaper and easier to have him do it for you. I couldn't be happier.

anyone in the chicagoland area looking into building one if these? I thought if i went slow I could do it but the coil kinked 2 feet in and I dont feel like ruining a 50 foot coil for no reason

thanks. i already have the coil and with shipping, and i know he has many requests. i may make one myself just havent had the extra time.

More props to V-twin for sharing his tubing bender design. I built one this past week, bent the tubing today with great results.

I initially tried to do the bend/ziptie/wife method and got a couple kinks. Before I ruined it, I took the time to build make V-twin's tubing bender and all is good.

Now, I can finish my HLT w/HERMS coil and get to doing some all-grain brewing...

I'm having one custom coiled from a tubing supplier. I am having them make a 14" outside diameter 50' coil. I will let you guys know how it works and post picks once I get it. The guy ended up getting sick and has been out for about 2 weeks now. I just got a call from another employee who is taking the job over. So I'm not sure how long it is going to take.

EDIT: I am using a keggle. I plan on "threading" the coil into the keg and hooking it up with the 90° compression to npt fittings. The opening to the keggle is 12".

This tool is AWESOME!!!

Thanks V-Twin and all for the directions and usage.

I made the modified bender. It did take me almost three hours to assembly, but in the end it was worth it. I then clamped the bender sideways on my workbench and "pulled" the tubing through. That worked best for me. Was able to get the tubing down to about a foot in about 4 passes.

Pictures of the bender tool. Notice the base that was added to the design. This allowed me to clamp the base to the workbench and pull the tube through.
Bender1.jpg
bender2.jpg

Final Product:
bender3.jpg

In Kettle: Kettle is 16.5 inches wide.
bender4.jpg

Thanks again V-Twin.

Kdigman.

Not sure what it cost you guys to throw together a tubing bender but I just saw one at the local Harbor Freight for under a $100. I'm not sure if they are adequate since I really just took note of it because of this thread but have no interest in making/buying one at this time.

Not sure what it cost you guys to throw together a tubing bender but I just saw one at the local Harbor Freight for under a $100. I'm not sure if they are adequate since I really just took note of it because of this thread but have no interest in making/buying one at this time.

Only parts I had to find were the pulleys.. They are about $11 each.

Back