Adding tannin and or acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgenebrewer

Reaction score
I bought a jug of unfiltered apple juice to make into cider.

Since it is most likely juiced from "eating" apples, would adding tannin and acid give it the elements a hard cider needs?

Does anyone have any suggested amounts I could start at, or should I just copy fruit wine addition amounts?

I bought a jug of unfiltered apple juice to make into cider.

Since it is most likely juiced from "eating" apples, would adding tannin and acid give it the elements a hard cider needs?

Does anyone have any suggested amounts I could start at, or should I just copy fruit wine addition amounts?

It might help give a more "cider" like taste to the juice.

I'd start with very very little tannin- like 1/8 teaspoon or less, mixed in with a bit of the juice. You can add this after fermentation, which is probably what I would do, and then wait a day and add more if needed. A little goes a LONG way.

For the acid blend, that is also to taste, so you can start with a very small amount and add it to taste. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon or so at first. Again, this can be done after fermentation also.

Most sources I've read suggest that adding tannin earlier is better and results in a more well blended and balanced final produce. Obviously, this requires more experience since the cider will change dramatically during fermentation.

Can't say I've ever tested this scientifically though.

I agree that you should really start small with additions.

add tannin before ferment. Do the adjustment of acidity (not pH, but acidity-to-taste), carefully, after the secondary.

thanks guys. I have a winemaking book with a chapter on acid adjusting, and it was pretty informative. Ill definitely go easy with the tannin on this first batch and then make another with a bit more and see the difference.

Do you think 1/2 tsp for 6 gallons is a good start on pressed sweet apples?

Back