What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Monitored" fermentation activity of the Christmas Card beer. Reviewed dry hopping schedule for the Pliny clone.

Researched recipe for a Burton Baton clone. Resolved to purchase Steele's IPA book that is supposed to have one in it. Discovered I already own it. Opened a stock BB and remembered why I like that beer so much.

I just bottled 5 gallons of Fireside Ale (a Williams Brewing extract kit). Started at 1.072, finished at 1.018. I got a total of 51 bottles and a hydrometer sample today along with the other two samples taken along the way. It is very tasty so far.:mug:

3 more days till I bottle my Hellfire IIPA & hope for the best. Them big beers are gonna start getting large starters as soon as I get my hands on a 2L flask. gotta get'em to finish sooner.

Just put 6 bottles of Cooper's bitter in the fridge with 4 bottles of Irish red. I'll see which one tastes better with dinner come Thanksgiving...

Up early today. Added stage two dry hops to a Pliny clone. Tested SG. Stable at 010. Man that's a dry beer - and bitterness is really high. Guess that will mellow a bit.

Tested SG on the Christmas Card beer. Day 11. 014. Taster was delicious and crisp with hints of the orange zest. That'll be ready to package next week for sure.

Had a few 19 day old bottles...they are good!

Fermenting: 6 gal Flabberhopper 44.8 IPA
In Bottle: Machete 731 IPA (all Citra)
Drinking: the green Machete 731...too bad it will not live to it's prime, but it is so good now!

I made a false bottom for my mash tun. Bought a pizza pan for this.

bottom1.JPG

bottom2.JPG

bottom3.JPG

bottom4.JPG

Making sure my racking tube's clean & sanitized to bottle the Hellfire IIPA I hopefully saved today. Hopefully, sinking the hop/pepper sack this time will have kept it from getting infected as easily? I'm definitely getting a 2L flask for bigger starters & using a more proper amount of rehydrated dry yeast from now on with these big beers. It's definitely far more critical with the big ones. This is what I get for being too thrifty...:(

Received all my parts for the raspberrypints taplist Friday. Yesterday, and still today, going through setting up the pi for the program.

Steep learning curve for me. Reminds me of the days of the timex sinclair or the commodore 64.

Almost ready to install the chromium browser now. So hopefully I'll be done today.

Edit:

So much for that thinking. Getting and error chromium-browser has no installation candidate.
Back to researching.

Finished bottling the Hellfire IIPA at 2:13. got 50-12oz bottles when the spigot plugged up & lost 3-4 bottles worth. Hosed out the buckets & nylon bag from the hops. Sure makes the job faster. But dang my fingers are frozen!

Converted my welding area of the garage back into a brewing area so I can brew a stout tomorrow morning.

Making sure my racking tube's clean & sanitized to bottle the Hellfire IIPA I hopefully saved today. Hopefully, sinking the hop/pepper sack this time will have kept it from getting infected as easily? I'm definitely getting a 2L flask for bigger starters & using a more proper amount of rehydrated dry yeast from now on with these big beers. It's definitely far more critical with the big ones. This is what I get for being too thrifty...:(

Did it get infected?

Hello BGBC

This is only needed to hold the bag not being in contact with bottom, in case I need to heat during mashing.

Nah, i forgot about cleaning it, & had to soak the inside with PBW & use a keg line cleaning brush on it. All better now. the tubes anyway. Darn cheap schools & busted car ruined my finances again though. Screwed again...:(

I meant your pepper IIPA.

Oh no, it smelled fruity again with the hot pepper aroma as well. I used some NZ hops to give some of that fruitiness with a bit of citrus super hot peppers have. Darn trub kept wanting to clog the spigot, even though the beer settled out clear & straining the wort into the fermenter. I only got 50-12oz bottles though. The rest was trub loss. Never had US-05 do that before with the trub/hop debris strained out?...

Gota do about a case of bottles today. Tried some of the Cooper's English bitter I made with plain extra light DME this time. Crystal clear, nice 3 finger head, 2.1 Vco2 seems nice & light carbonation as well. Semed to bring out the bittering in the Cooper's can a bit more nicely. Rather like Morebeer's ESB kit.:mug:

I keep my bags of caps in a 1 gallon zip lock freezer bag. but it wore out after so many years of use. gotta get more, as the 1 gallon size is also handy for dried spent grains.

Brewed a porter which was my first beer over 8 SRM to brew. Loved the smell of it. Pitched some harvested wlp007 from a starter and it is taking off like crazy. Also tapped my MO Cascade SMaSH.

Back