Soperbrew is coming to Oahu!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be in Oahu on vacation July 8-13 and the wife has given me permission to spend one afternoon/evening out having a few beers. I was wondering if any HBTers from Hawaii would be able to meet out for a beer sometime during my stay. I'm thinking maybe over the weekend sometime would be best. We'll be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

If you're interested in hooking up for a beer send me a PM and we can exchange info. Otherwise I'd appreciate some suggestions on where I can go for a good craft beer experience on the island.

Thanks.
Chris

Here's what I've found online thus far.

- Sam Choy's Big Aloha Brewery
- Gordon Biersch
- Brew Moon Restaurant
- Honolulu Brewing Co.
- Royal Hawaiian Brewing Co.

Any comments on these places? good or bad.

Feel free to bring some of that back with you to share cuz I'm pretty sure that one of ASH's bylaws is that when you travel you have to bring back plenty of bounty to share with other members. ;)

There is a Yardhouse not far from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Actually, I'll be staying at the HHV in August, sure you can't hold off for a month? :)

For food, try the Side Street Inn, it's on the far side of the Ala Moana shopping center on Hopaka Street. I suggest the kimchee fried rice and the pork chops. Good stuff!

Sweet, take pics. Another meme thread will be fun if you pass out in a grass skirt on the beach.;)

_

T-minus 5 days to Oahu! I've had Big Swell IPA & like that. I don't think I've had the Coconut Porter yet so I'll be looking for that. Where will I find it on tap in Oahu?

When I lived in HI I always knocked back the Kona brewing selection, of course I lived on the big island, in the town of Kona, so the beer was pretty much everywhere.

We took a trip to the big island last year and hit up the Kona tour, which is a 15 minute tour of the facility followed by multiple samples. We ended up staying for lunch and trying a few more beers. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Pipeline Porter and the new Koko Brown, but those are seasonals. I remember drinking a lot of the Lavaman Red Ale on tap at one of our hotels. The place over in Hilo, formerly Mehana, but under a different owner now, had a small tasting room and a couple of interesting beers. Of course, this doesn't do you as much good on Oahu, but I'm sure many of those beers will be available there. The Maui Coconut Porter is also a personal favorite of mine.

While there I am sure that you will be going to Pearl Harbor, do me a favor while on the USS Arizona memorial, slap around some tourists who dont have enough respect to remove their hats while on the site. pissed me off every time I went there.

I have lived here for the past year, and since I was raised on Great Lakes Brewing Company I have been less than thrilled with the beer out here. (Also I am huge Belgian tripel fan, but it's just not popular out here)...

Maui Brewing Company is the best local kine. Kona Brewing Company is pretty decent. The Wailua Wheat (brewed with passion fruit) is the current KBC seasonal brew. It's pretty tasty and very easy to drink. You should try at least one while visiting.

YardHouse (Waikiki) has a lot of nice beer on tap. I go there to get my Unibrou Trois Pistoles fix. It can be pretty touristy. Also Bar 35 (Chinatown) has a great bottle selection, but it's pretty clubby feeling on the weekends. The Varsity (University Street) is my favorite place. Prices are the reasonable and you can get most local brews on tap and by the pitcher. It is definitely a college bar though. The Liquor Collection (Ward Shopping Center) is your best bet if you want pick up some good beer to drink in your hotel.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Buckeye. Let me know if you can meet up for a beer this weekend. I should be able to check my PMs on my phone over there.

3 days down & 2 to go here on Oahu. In general it's been rough with the kids, especially during meal times. 6 yr. Old constantly whining finding every little thing to get upset about, and 3 yr. Old running off non-stop and throwing huge tantrums whenever he's picked up and not allowed to run off to where he wants.

I'd say we spend 50% of the time chasing the 3 yr. Old, 20% of the time dealing with the 6 yr. Old's fussy whining, leaving only 30% of actual enjoyment. The best part of the trip has been a 1 hr cruise on a catamaran sailboat and the next most relaxing time has been breakfast since the kids will actually sit & eat then.

So far I've had Big Swell IPA, Bikini Blonde, & Coconut Porter from Maui Brewing, and Something Wave Amber by Kona. Not many chances to have beers while chasing after the kids.

Back