Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleeder

Reaction score
Hi Guys, :mug:

I was in my local brew shop the other day and the owner remarked that its the fumes from the sterilizing liquid that actually sterilize the fermentor, and not the liquid.
is this true?
I always have been of the opinion that you had to drown your fermentor to get it sterile.

Thanks

if you are using potassium metabisulphite the sulphite fumes do sterilize but that is the only one i am aware of.

Star-San, which is the best, IMHO, requires liquid contact. That does not mean that the fermenter has to completely filled. It just means that liquid must be in contact with the surface for 30 seconds. I use about 1 gallon and gently swirl it around to coat the entire interior surface.

FWIW, there is a huge difference between sanitized and sterilized. Short of obtaining an autoclave big enough to fit all of your gear into, you will never achieve sterile conditions.

Sanitizing with a sanitizer (Star-San, Iodophor etc..) will sufficiently reduce the microbial levels enough for our purposes.

Back