CO2 Volumes for Hefeweisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKegII

Reaction score
I've read several references that say hefeweisen should be served at a CO2 content of 3.6 to 4.5 volumes. But last night while reading Brewing Classic Styles their recipe called for 2.5 volumes. It seems like you'd want something higher than that but 4.5 seems really high. In my case, the initial fermentation was a little on the hot side which resulted in a bit of overattenuation, as the beer finished 2 points below target. I tasted it when transferring to the keg (first time kegging) and besides being somewhat of a banana bomb, it seemed a little thin.

So at what volume would you folks recommend serving?

Also, once the beer is carbed to the proper volume, I'm a little confused on the serving pressure. Let's say I carb the beer to 3.6 volumes and I plan on serving at 38 F; according to the chart I need 23 psi @ 1 - 2 weeks @ 38 F. My beer line is 5 ft of 3/16", so this is 11 pounds of resistance (assuming no vertical rise). Does this mean when I go to serve I set my regulator at 11 psi? When I'm done serving I can just disconnect the gas, since the beer should be at equilibrium, right? Am I getting this at all???

I've read several references that say hefeweisen should be served at a CO2 content of 3.6 to 4.5 volumes. But last night while reading Brewing Classic Styles their recipe called for 2.5 volumes.

I don't have my BCS next to me--is it possible that they recommend 2.5 volumes because they're not sure if you're going to be bottling or kegging, and they don't want people putting high pressure into standard American bottles? The German Hefe bottles are much stronger than American longnecks.

The book calls for 2.5 to 3, which sounds about right for draft. If I was bottling, I'd go higher (and package in heavy bottles).

You want to serve at equilibrium temp and pressure, so get a longer beverage line.

So assuming I serve at 38 F and 3 volumes this means I'll need regulator set to 17 psi. Assuming 2.2 lb/ft line restriction I'll need 7.7 ft of beer line (17 / 2.2 = 7.7).

OK, I think I've got my brain around this. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Back