Two year old DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloman

Reaction score
I just found 6 pounds of DME in my basement that is going on 2 years old. I found the following link at BYO that says, " Dry malt extract should be stored just like grains. As long as the DME is dry and sealed from oxygen, you can buy in bulk, and use it for up to about 1 year. This assumes you keep it away from sunlight and maintain the temperature between 50¡ and 70¡ F. " The basement is kept pretty dry with a dehumidifier running. When I squeeze and move the bags the DME still likes like a normal powder.

Are there any reasons I shouldn't try to brew with this and see what happens? Anything specific to look for in a beer brewed with DME that old?

Jason

I'd think that since the packaging was not compromised and the DME was not exposed to direct/intense sunlight you should be fine. If it looks, sounds and smells good, it should be good!

The best test? Cook up a batch!!!!!! Maybe cut it with some "fresh" DME is you are overly concerned. But I think it would be fine.....I've used 6-7 month old DME that was previously forgotten and it was fine.

Back