Coopers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Are the Coopers yeasts that come with the kits any good? I was thinking about adding 2 stout kits together with 1kg of dextrose, just don't know if I should use better yeast or stick with the Coopers yeast.

I have used a number of different Coopers yeasts and never had any problem with them. They start up pretty quick without a starter and they finish pretty quick too (usually within 48 - 60 hours).

All the beer I have made with them (Real Ale, Stout, Lager) have turned out pretty good for beer kit beers.

Someone told me that their yeast is Ale yeast so it will be easy to use without worrying about temperature.

(yeah - this is my first time posting - I have lurked for a long time but I have learned a lot from this board - if you want to verify with someone else then that is ok).

I have used coopers twice. One of the main reasons I like their yeast is because of the higher ideal range temperature which was good for summer time apartment brewing.

I had pretty quick fermentation with good attenuation. Fermented like wild after about 15-20 hours and fermented that speed for about 24 hours, slowly dropping off after another 24 hours.

Have it finishing up a stout right as we speak.

My only concern with Coopers might be the age of the kit it came with. If the kit is getting old, the yeast is getting old. I've used the Coopers yeast included with a relatively fresh canned kit as well as Coopers yeast that came with an extract kit from my LHBS and both have worked very well. I've also used it successfully to carbonate root beer.

Stick with coopers yeast, if your that advanced in brewing you should be formulating your own recipes & yeasts of your choice.

Each one of their kits has a different type of yeast specifically to meet the style! Check the best before date on the can, only if its past that date you might wanna use a different yeast. Mind you ive brewed a stout 4month past expiry date and the yeast worked fine!

I've used it with two kits in a can and it seemed to work fine. But both were the most violent ferments I've had thus far. The stopper blew in both cases.

Latest posts

Back