How do I make a 4L starter with 2X 2L flasks ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Can I put 2L water and 200g DME in each flask and then split the smack pack into each flask or is there a better way ?

Also - I only have one stir plate - I assume I use the stir plate for the one flask and shake the other one a few times ?

I think it's much easier to step up the starter, rather than try to split the smack pack between the two flasks.

Prepare a single starter, let it ferment out completely then put the entire flask in the fridge for 12 or so hours to crash out the yeast. Then decant the spent 'beer' off the slurry and replace with 2000ml of fresh wort.

In other words I will only use the one flask but with double the yeast in the end ?

I think it's much easier to step up the starter, rather than try to split the smack pack between the two flasks.

Prepare a single starter, let it ferment out completely then put the entire flask in the fridge for 12 or so hours to crash out the yeast. Then decant the spent 'beer' off the slurry and replace with 2000ml of fresh wort.

Yes. If I wanted a 4L starter, but only had two 2L flasks, I would put one flask on the stir plate for 36 hours. And then put the second on the stir plate for 36 hours. Pitch both when the wort is ready.

An alternative could be to cold crash your first 2L flask after 36 hours, decant, and then top up with addition wort to go on the stir plate again, but I think you would end up with less yeast that way. You'll lose some when you decant.

One more thing...
I will be making three lagers (three 25L batches) on the same day. I have three flasks, two stir plates and one packet of liquid yeast (this is starting to sound like one of those brain teasers we got at school :confused:)....

Please correct me where I go wrong :
I pitch the yeast into one flask with 2L boiled DME and water.
Ferment for +-36hrs.
Chill, pour off beer repeat above (same flask).
Now the tricky part...
After pouring off the beer I split the yeast into three flasks and add more DME and water to all flasks and repeat (??).

If you do that- make sure you get all of the yeast in suspension really well. I got some very different fermentation when trying to split up yeast from slurry like this between two batches... one was much more vigorous than the other, since it got a lot more yeast.

Latest posts

Back