Transfer Beersmith recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I own a copy of Beersmith. I have one version on my work computer (oh no!) and one on my home computer. I would like to transfer all my recipe files from one computer to the other, so they are identical. I would probably like to do this once a week or so, instead of printing off recipe sheets, then putting them in by hand on the other computer.

Another quick question. Is beersmith updated regularly?

IIRC, this is done by renaming the recipes.bsm file to something else, recipes2.bsm for example, opening the recipes2 file in the scratchpad and then copy pasting. It's the same process as if you were adding info from the available grains, etc..., files found in the downloadables section of the beersmith website.

I have only ever seen a major version update and downloadables in the 2+ years I have had the software. I have yet to ever see the update tool do anything more than waste a minute of my time watching it look.

The really easy way is to copy all the files onto a thumbdrive. Copy the ENTIRE program files folder, which also includes the recipe files. Then you can just run it from your thumbdrive! :D

I think I figured it out. Click on My Recipes folder, or whatever folder you want to copy over, then click File>Export as. I chose the email option, and emailed the 200kb My Recipes.bsm file to myself. I will check tonight at home to see if it worked.

Yah, thats right, I use my beersmith at work more than my beersmith at home. Go figure.

The really easy way is to copy all the files onto a thumbdrive. Copy the ENTIRE program files folder, which also includes the recipe files. Then you can just run it from your thumbdrive! :D

+1

I just recently installed BeerSmith on my Laptop so I can have it easily accessible when I brew. I installed the program and then just copied the entire program folder from my desktop into the folder on the laptop and everything is intact in both places.

Thumbdrive idea sounds good, although I don't have one. I just export them as ODaniels.bsm to my Documents folder, upload that file online, download it elsewhere and Import into BeerSmith.

Actually all you have to do is to copy the recipes.bsm file and paste it onto the other. Just select "Yes" when it asks if you want to replace the file.

I did that to move it off of my work computer.

I have only ever seen a major version update and downloadables in the 2+ years I have had the software. I have yet to ever see the update tool do anything more than waste a minute of my time watching it look.

Where does one find these "downloadables" of which you speak?!?

TIA

I've been using beersmith for a few years now and normally just use it on my laptop. I recently started using it on another pc that I setup in the garage and instead of copying the files or setting up a share I started using dropbox.

If you sign up with this link we each get an extra 250MB of free storage space:
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE0NjA0NTQ5

Basically you run it on each computer you want files on and it will replicate files that get placed in that directory. I moved my beersmith folder over in there and now I can access it from either place. Works on windows, linux, mac, and can access files via the web

Believe it or not I don't have the internet in my garage. Probably since I don't have a laptop. I will have to find my thumbdrive and run it off of that since that sounds supersweet.

Back