1.3 OG...how is this possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
I just brewed a stout and the OG was 1.3 at 80 degrees, not 1.030, 1.3. Is it worth my time to try and ferment this out or is it going to be a mess?

What is the range of your hydrometer? Did you mix the wort with water?

1.3 there isn't really a yeast that can take that gravity down into range on FG and alcohol %. if it was down to 1.150 Id say give it a try. But even that may take incremental additions of your (previously not in the fermentor) batch +nutrient+energizer to knock it down.
1.3 is a mix for high 37-39% alcohol range. Unless you are experimenting on an extreme brew (which would be cool too) I'd say knock that down into the high 1.1* range and then think hard about how you'll pull it off.

If you doubled the volume with the addition of only water you'd get 1.15. So you have a way to go.
I don't know what you did to get it that high. Has there been any possible trauma to the hydrometer?

I think the OP realized his FUBAR and is hiding in shame. :D Refractometers are even less likely to be read wrong.

when I said misread, I was moreso pointing out user error

frankly to get an og this high you would need to add like 25 lbs of corn sugar on top of a 15 lb + grain bill

when I said misread, I was moreso pointing out user error

frankly to get an og this high you would need to add like 25 lbs of corn sugar on top of a 15 lb + grain bill

Yeah... I'm looking at mixing up a ~25% mead, but I won't be doing it all from the start. I've mixed up solutions that were over 30 brix, but still under 32 brix. His would have been far over that. Strongest yeast I know of only goes to 25% ABV. Even then, you have to really work it to get it there. :D Looking forward to the challenge. :rockin:

Good luck and feed it slowly. Like a cactus. If you have a houseplant.

I bet he meant 1.130. Unlike 1.300, that's at least a feasible gravity to attain (i.e. if you use 25 pounds of grain or something). You usually would need to take some extra steps to get even 1.130 down to some kind of manageable level, i.e. using WL super gravity strain that actually has the capability to live in 10+% alcohol plus oxygenating in steps, etc. I've never tried it, but plenty of people have done it.

I cannot believe that no one asked if it was a partial boil extract/partial mash recipe......

If it was the answer is easy. Just not mixed properly.

Easy to get real whacked out readings from partial boil extract recipes with top off water.

A true OG of 1.3 would mean that you have a solution that is about 65% sugar. This would only be possible using extract and very little water. Most definitely a hydrometer mistake.

Latest posts

Back