Aw sweet! Scotch thistle glasses... no wait, maybe not.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I was at the beer glassware store yesterday (Thrift store) when I saw 2 glasses that looked distinctly like thistle shaped glasses for Scotch strong ale. Only they were quite large. Well, .50 each I got em anyway plus another nice tulip to add to my collection.

So I have tried to search and check out glassware to figure out what they are. They do really look like thistle glasses only as stated they are fairly hefty and they hold 16 U.S. Fl oz. to the lip. I figure the idea with a Scotch Thistle glass is that they are smaller as you don't generally drink a pint of wee heavy. Though I have never seen one in person. The other possibility that I now believe these are, is a type of grappa glass. Though I did not come across any exactly like these.

It would also seem that from my research the thistle glasses were originally designed for the enjoyment of Scotch whisky and then adapted to the ale. Any Scotch drinkers out there?

Oh, and here they are:
thistleor.jpg

If you think a pint of wee heavy is too much, a pint of grappa is going to put you in a world of hurt! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I don't personally think a pint of wee heavy is too much. :drunk:

Most civilized folks might.

The pictures I saw of other grappa glasses the lower bowl was not full. So probably only intended for about 4 oz. and then the vapors are trapped and funneled up through the flared upper part.

even 4oz. of grappa would be an ass whooping. Grappa glasses normally hold about 2-4 oz. max and are meant to be filled with about 1 maybe 2 oz.

The thistle glass is similar to a scotch glass but with a more pronounced corner between the upper and lower portions.

I think you have a bonified scotch ale, strong ale, wee heavy glass on your hands there. Well done.

Strange, our HBT wiki has a couple of different pages about glassware. Neither one is complete.

If I understood how all this wiki stuff worked I suppose I could contribute. I just don't want to screw it up or plagiarize...

Well, regardless of what it is, I filled it with some wee heavy I brewed last winter...

scotchale.jpg

(that is a bomber next to it btw)
Worked quite nice. Aroma was enhanced and very nice to drink out of.

Good enough for me.

Looky at what I found today at the "beer glassware store (Thrift store)." lol It looks to be a very similiar glass to yours Zymurgrafi. It appears that "Our Lucaya" is a resort in the Bahamas so I assume this had a fruity drink in it with an umbrella. :fro:
scotchthistle.jpg

It is a 16oz glass and tonight I plan to break 'er in with a Great Divide Hibernation Ale.

Back