Anyone else weighing their water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fratermus

Reaction score
I find measuring precise amounts of water time-consuming and difficult to do with any real accuracy.

Since water is heavy (a kg/liter, or about 8.35#/gallon) I'd think it'd be easy to measure precise volumes by weight. So I bought a 50# hanging digital scale off eBay and hung it from my tree near the porch. Suspended a bucket on it, tared it to zero and turned the RV hose loose on it. Simple as pie, stopped when it got to 20.85# (the calculated weight of my mash water). Did it again to measure out sparge water. Very easy with no head-sideways kentucky windage estimates.

I also used the scale to measure out base grains, so it's not a total waste of funds if the water weighing idea is flawed in some weigh I am overlooking. Unless there is a problem with it I think I am converting to weighing water instead of measuring it by volume.

Sounds like a good plan to me. In addition to brewing I bake bread. I always weigh all the ingredients for baking including water. It is the most accurate way to be consistent. I can't see why it would not be the same for brewing.

Sounds quicker too.

When I marked the sight tubes on my keggles, I weighed each gallon of water according to what it should weigh at whatever temp it was. It's really the most accurate way to do it.

If it works for you, then it's a fine idea.

I don't worry about getting an exact amount of water in my mash. If I'm off by a quart or so on the strike water for a 10 gallon batch, I'm not going to sweat it. I don't measure my sparge water at all. I just fill up my HLT to about 4/5ths full and sparge until I'm done collecting wort for the boil.

Back