Closed System Brewing Kettle....Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
Call me overly paranoid, but I had an idea to create a complete closed system brewing system. It isn’t quite done, but this is the first step. Here is how I envision it working.

1. With about 15min left in the boil prop the lid on the edge of the kettle with the cooling coils in the boil.
2. With about 1min left seal the lid down. I still need to build a clamp that goes through the keg handles, put a silicone seal around the lid’s perimeter, and install a HEPA filter in the lid to allow the kettle to breath.
3. Start my pump and the cooling coil to create Jamil’s whirlpool immersion chiller.
4. After cooled I can let the trub settle for a long time and not worry about contamination as the kettle is sealed.
5. In the meantime I will fill a carboy with sanitizer and drain it with MoreBeer’s Sterile Siphon Starter.
6. Finally I will connect my kettle to the Sterile Siphon Starter to fill my fermentor.

Now I just need to figure out how to aerate and pitch the yeast.

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

+1 on you being paranoid. I know we all build some crazy systems, but a sealed kettle with a HEPA filter? This just seems like too, too much!

slight overkill....fun idea though. Why are you so paranoid though? have you had contaminated batches or what?

Ouch. ;) No bad contamination issues, but I did get sick of covering my kettle with foil while cooling. It is very windy in central Montana and I don't like dirt blowing into my cooled wort. At first I was just going to mount my chiller into the lid so I wouldn't have to waste foil, then I figured why the hell not take it to the extreme. Heck with this system I would feel comfortable leaving the wort overnight if my yeast starter wasn't ready or if it was a late brew and I wanted sleep. But my main reason is ... because I wanted to see if I could.

Ouch. ;) No bad contamination issues, but I did get sick of covering my kettle with foil while cooling. It is very windy in central Montana and I don't like dirt blowing into my cooled wort. At first I was just going to mount my chiller into the lid so I wouldn't have to waste foil, then I figured why the hell not take it to the extreme. Heck with this system I would feel comfortable leaving the wort overnight if my yeast starter wasn't ready or if it was a late brew and I wanted sleep. But my main reason is ... because I wanted to see if I could.
Its a cool idea I really like your lid I think I might make something like it to hold my chiller in place. I dont like the idea of puting a lid on a kettle untill flame out so I might make mine w/ a hinge and hinge 1/2 of it so I can keep it open untill flamout. I will have to work on some sort of a O2 injection system
Cheers
JJ

I lived in Kalispell and Whitefish for a while so i know where your coming from. Personally i have a sanatized carboy handy and i pour the wort in semi hot and let it cool with foil over that. I never had a problem leaving that overnight. Its a cool project- i didint mean to seem condescending however its alot of money for copper and supplies when its something you could do with foil. Good luck

I lived in Kalispell and Whitefish for a while so i know where your coming from. Personally i have a sanatized carboy handy and i pour the wort in semi hot and let it cool with foil over that. I never had a problem leaving that overnight. Its a cool project- i didint mean to seem condescending however its alot of money for copper and supplies when its something you could do with foil. Good luck

Already had the lid and cooling coil so no extra expense. No worries. I just built a trebuchet out of 100% duct tape to see if I could, so I am used to people thinking my ideas are a bit off :). By the way, I just left Kalispell. Worked for Semitool for 7 years. I sure miss that area.

I never thought I would ever see someone more sanitary than myself. :) I think you are over a bit but I do have a suggestion. I think you need a brewing shack and to make a boiler with a stack like the breweries have. This way you could have an air conditioner or a whole house type fan with filter for the shack. I have thought of doing this myself as we do get some windy hot days and this would keep out the bugs, leaves, etc from getting into the wort as well as keeping myself more comfortable too. I think steam heating of the vessels would be the best way to go with the steam boiler outside. I would have access to the wort via a door on the boiler and use a counter-flow chiller/ice bath on the way to the fermenter. You do realize that you can not totally close the boiler due to DMS, right? Maybe this shack is over the top. :D

I never thought I would ever see someone more sanitary than myself. :) I think you are over a bit but I do have a suggestion. I think you need a brewing shack and to make a boiler with a stack like the breweries have. This way you could have an air conditioner or a whole house type fan with filter for the shack. I have thought of doing this myself as we do get some windy hot days and this would keep out the bugs, leaves, etc from getting into the wort as well as keeping myself more comfortable too. I think steam heating of the vessels would be the best way to go with the steam boiler outside. I would have access to the wort via a door on the boiler and use a counter-flow chiller/ice bath on the way to the fermenter. Maybe this is over the top. :D

I thought about building a laminar flow cleanroom for my brewery, but decided the cooling coil thru the lid approach a bit less time consuming and more compact. ;)

Where are the pictures of the trebuchet??? I really gotta move to Montana. A guy a know here owns a big chunk of property (at least by Cleveland standards) out there, and he built a catapult in his back yard.

Where are the pictures of the trebuchet??? I really gotta move to Montana. A guy a know here owns a big chunk of property (at least by Cleveland standards) out there, and he built a catapult in his back yard.

I want pictures too....

And one of the only good things about delaware is the annual punkin chunkin. Every year people build homemade cannons and to a huge farm and shoot pumpkins. Some of these go close a mile!

World Championship PunkinChunkin

Do you still leave the lid off for the major part of the boil so any DMS is boiled off?

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on having the lid off all but the last minute. I can prop the lid on the edge if my kettle with the coils in the boiling wort. This will leave the kettle almost completely open for the last 15min.

Don't think I took any pics (that was dumb). I donated it to the local science teacher, so sneak into the school would be needed. The thing was only about 2ft tall and would fling bottle caps about 15 ft. I have a small 25 acre field in my front yard. Some day a trebuchet will reach the other end. Will defiantly take pictures of that. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back