Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

washdcbrewer

Reaction score
Still a noob! I'm going to dry hop for the first time. I want to use muslin hop bags to do so. How does one go about insuring the use of the bag is sanitary? Do I just dip it into my sanitization solution?

Thanks!

Mark

I just let mine soak in Starsan for a few minutes before adding the hops and placing in the secondary. With 20+ dryhopped brews this way have had no infection issues.

or just drop it in boiling water for a few minutes . Pretty safe bet that you will get no infections from it either way you go since alcohol will stop most of the nasties any way , but not all of them . so boil or sanitize .
Also make sure you do not have a large i.e. 2 gallon head space if you can avoid it . No need in allowing more oxygen than you have to to be in that dry hop bucket .
do not dry hop too long as the aroma and flavor start to go away . I like a couple days and no more than a week

Thanks for the help everyone I was planning on fry hopping for 6 days. Lagunitas IPA clone is on the way!

washdcbrewer said:
Thanks for the help everyone I was planning on fry hopping for 6 days. Lagunitas IPA clone is on the way!

Sounds great! I dryhop 5-7 days, so should come out with a great hop taste and aroma.

Latest posts

Back