leftover extract... what do? looking for any and all suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
I do the occasional 1 gallon batch. it works great for me and my tiny kitchen and of course, i don't feel so guilty wasting things.

Here's what I've got:

Safeale 05
1# wheat malt extract that I do not know how old it is. I would say 1.5 months
1/2# fresh dry wheat malt
1/2# fresh dry malt

enough hops to be flexible. No EKG/Williamette which are my favs, but Ahtanum, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Hallartau, Nugget, Saaz and plenty more.

I've got plenty of dextrose, belgian candi sugar and gypsum. BUT NO SPECIALTY MALTS!!!!!

What would you do?

.5# DME
.5# Wheat malt extract
.2# Dark Candi sugar
.25 cascade @ 60
.5 ahtanum @ 5
safeale 05

Or will the mix of wheat & pale malt extract make this crap?

I do the occasional 1 gallon batch. it works great for me and my tiny kitchen and of course, i don't feel so guilty wasting things.

Here's what I've got:

Safeale 05
1# wheat malt extract that I do not know how old it is. I would say 1.5 months
1/2# fresh dry wheat malt
1/2# fresh dry malt

enough hops to be flexible. No EKG/Williamette which are my favs, but Ahtanum, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Hallartau, Nugget, Saaz and plenty more.

I've got plenty of dextrose, belgian candi sugar and gypsum. BUT NO SPECIALTY MALTS!!!!!

What would you do?

.5# DME
.5# Wheat malt extract
.2# Dark Candi sugar
.25 cascade @ 60
.5 ahtanum @ 5
safeale 05

Or will the mix of wheat & pale malt extract make this crap?

Mixing the wheat and pale isn't going to make the beer "crap." I say just try it out and see what happens. Worse case scenario, you don't like it and you get rid of left-overs cluttering up your closet. I bet you will end up pleasantly surprised.

I'd use the whole pound of wheat extract. A wheat ale is what weisses & hefes are anyway. Wheat extracts are part wheat malt & part barley malt,about a 60/40 mix. The candi sugar sounds good too. Maybe ad spices & orange zest for something like shock top.

Back