Installing a dryer outlet in spa panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
I have seen people mount the dryer outlet in the front of the spa panel. Is there any reason not to mount it at the top of the panel where the hole is and that little metal plate covers it? seems like it would be nice not to have to keep the panel door open while brewing.

I would say most people would frown on the possibility of moisture running into it. I just tapped it an ran my conduit into the cover.

I would say most people would frown on the possibility of moisture running into it. I just tapped it an ran my conduit into the cover.

thats why i was considering running it in that top hole. so the lid could be closed while in operation.

The receptacle I have does not fit the square hole at the top perfectly. There's a gap on one side if I recall. Quite big. I figure I'll just buy a cheap Harbot Freight holesaw for it. I'm dropping a lot of money into the system, might as well do it right and not have one thing an eyesore.

The receptacle I have does not fit the square hole at the top perfectly. There's a gap on one side if I recall. Quite big. I figure I'll just buy a cheap Harbot Freight holesaw for it. I'm dropping a lot of money into the system, might as well do it right and not have one thing an eyesore.

This is what my panel looks like
i was just going to cut a hole in that cover and mount it in there.

SPAPANEL.jpg

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. Thought you meant you'd just put the receptacle in the circle-hole there and not mess with the plate - to try and avoid cutting it.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. Thought you meant you'd just put the receptacle in the circle-hole there and not mess with the plate - to try and avoid cutting it.

I dont know what that hole is supposed to be used for. Its pretty big to be using for wire. I thought that might be a good use for it, i dunno

Use a 2" hole saw, the huge kerf of the teeth will make it ~2-1/8" in diameter and plenty big for the outlet. Your 2-1/4" hole saw will make a hole almost 2-3/8", that's a bit gap.

I'm not sure what the right size hole saw costs, but it's $2.50 for a metal cover plate with the right size hole at Home Depot, even less if you are willing to use plastic.

I'm not sure what the right size hole saw costs, but it's $2.50 for a metal cover plate with the right size hole at Home Depot, even less if you are willing to use plastic.

im not sure how that will fit over that weird shaped flanged hole.

I mounted mine in the top hole of the spa panel and screwed a plate in on top. No issues as long as your spa panel is in the splash zone.

Hmm I'd like to know as well.

And I'd also like to maybe go back in time about 3 days, before I was wrestling with my dull hole saw in this:

IMG_20120315_093015.jpg

This is how I want to mount my outlet, so I can close and lock the lid. I have a 2 year old and one on the way and I want no part of them sticking anything into a 50A receptacle.

Back