2nd generation of yeast more flocculant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
About a month ago I washed some Wyeast 1056 from an American pale ale. I've since done two batches with the washed yeast (one is finished, one is currently in the primary), and for both batches, the yeast were particularly clumpy. They seemed to do their job just fine, but I'm wondering if I should bother washing this yeast for a another generation. This generation was washed from the primary. Maybe the secondary would have less flocculant yeast? I'm interested in what everyone has to say.

I just washed and reused some 1056. Can't say I noticed any real major difference in flocculation. I think you want to wash from the primary though. They are healthier, did their job and got the heck out of dodge.

You're lucky that you are getting the more flocculant yeast - I find mine keep getting less flocculant as I wash them. I would keep using it if they seem to be doing the job fine.

When we re-use yeast from our beers we are selecting certain traits. We may not think we are doing it, but we are. That is why it is recommended that we limit re-use to 5 times.

I don't know your process, but if you harvest from Primary, and your primary is not fully finished before racking to secondary, you will be preferentially selecting yeast that floc quicker. If you keep doing it, you will also find you get less attenuation too.

Harvesting from the secondary has it's issues too. You select yeast that floc slower, and can get a cloudy beer. You will get higher attenuation, but may also get less flavor, since the ones that did the early work have been left in the primary.

It is best to let fermentation complete, and then leave it a week before harvesting.

Back