Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A taste of my blueberry melomel during racking. :)

Blueberry melomel.jpg

gilliam said:
Had to taste my saffron metheglin as well. Maybe a little on the sweet side, but quite tasty.

Aiyah! The most expensive spice you can buy at a normal store. Hope you used high quality honey.

@gilliam , mind sharing the recipe?

Does any one with some experience into spices know how much the taste from the saffron extracted from flowers differ from the root one (knows as Curcuma or earth-saffron)?

I don't mind at all. However I'm just about to leave for a holiday trip (in 5 minutes), but I'll share it when I get back next week. :)

its not quite mead yet but almost... just have to find the time to brew.. sorry for the blurry pic

20130804_002733.jpg

Ha nice. Yea I can make nothing out on that web page lol. I will need to keep an eye out for some of those on this side of the pond.

I just bottled my JAOM. I have to say, it tastes pretty gross right now. It's not so much the taste but the aftertaste. Yuck. I'm gonna put the bottles away and hope it gets better. I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't, there's a lot of hoopla revolving this mead.

photo.JPG

I just bottled my JAOM. I have to say, it tastes pretty gross right now. It's not so much the taste but the aftertaste. Yuck. I'm gonna put the bottles away and hope it gets better. I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't, there's a lot of hoopla revolving this mead.

Good luck! Hope it turns out!

From what all Ive ever read is youll end up loving it if you age it. Pretty shure it can only get better also and p.s. thats all Ive ever read... :) Ive also heard because of the rind that it needs to mellow out-if this is what your talking about.

As long as it finished sweet and not dry then wait till it is more than 6 months old and you will be all smiles drinking this.

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here.

This is my first batch of mead. One I made from a kit from NB/Ames honey and another is from the honey of a local farm.

image-2345132899.jpg

When I first tasted mine, it tasted of jet fuel and puke. Someone else's puke. Of course I did the original recipe, which in the recipe is stated not to deviate at all. All the hoopla is revolving around the original JAOM recipe.

Folks have strayed from the original recipe and had sub par results. Some are good, but not all. If you didn't do exactly the original recipe, there is no telling what it will taste like. I hope the best for you.

I have to admit that my favorite JAOM variant replaces the O with a P for pineapple. Whole Pineapple cut in chunks after peeling. Ages sweet but not syrupy sweet, no acid bite... Think I'll make some of that again soon.

I have to admit that my favorite JAOM variant replaces the O with a P for pineapple. Whole Pineapple cut in chunks after peeling. Ages sweet but not syrupy sweet, no acid bite... Think I'll make some of that again soon.

Small, medium or big pineapple? (bread yeast or wine one? )

Loved the idea :rockin:, will make some next month for sure.

That's the thing, it's not sweet.

Well damn. Just forget about it for now. Place it in a dark rarely looked at spot and start a batch of something else that takes little aging. Maybe Joes quick pyment or a low ABV cyser. After a good year of aging the dry JAOM should pick up. Next time if it finishes dry keep adding honey until it is sweet.

Seriously, I would like to source these. The google translation of the page was helpful, can you help find these in bulk and 750ml ?

even if did (and it only comes in 500ml. i have checked) its in israel... what good is it for you?

My first cherry melomel. I like the colour. I didn't backsweeten so there is not much cherry flavour now. Will check back next year,
MeadBottle.jpg

My first cherry melomel. I like the colour. I didn't backsweeten so there is not much cherry flavour now. Will check back next year,
MeadBottle.jpg

Wy wife would love that. I am about to rack a skeeter pee that replaced the sugar with honey onto some tart cherry juice. Hope it gets to that color.

JuneHawk said:

I think I may know the aftertaste you are describing, is it a musky flavor? Almost like rancid a bit? I had this happen a couple times when I left my mead too long between racking, one batch of aprocot I had to completely throw out it was unbearable, but my jaom had a bit of this off taste at the end as well... It's bearable and gets me drunk, but not super enjoyable.

Here's my first attempt, a shot at a medium-sweet show mead based on a cross between recipes, including Ken Schramm's and Charlie Papazian's. It's been about a day since pitching and it's burping along nicely. (Not sure if the blow-off is necessary, but I figured it was better to err on the side of not having junk erupt out of an air lock...)

i love the colour of this mead, well done.

I've been enjoying this thread so long that I thought I should contribute! Learning a lot on these forums...

In order these are: Show Mead with local (MN) Ames honey; JAOM; Cherry/Strawberry; Raspberry; Cherry Cinnamon

Waiting is the hardest part.

what does the cherry cinnamon taste like as i want to make a spicy cherry melomel?

I have a blueberry cinnamon mead that I first made around 2 years ago. First bottle I had a year ago was very fruity and semi-sweet with a hint of the cinnamon on the back end. Six months ago, the cinnamon was much stronger and upfront with just the fruitiness not being as pronounced. The bottle I tried last week has kind of balanced out. I wouldn't guess cinnamon just by the taste as it has melded into just a more smoother spice taste with the fruit mixing throughout as well. I'm really curious what it'll be next year.

Back