1056 in OG1.078

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
I was playing with a new brew tonight and ended up with an OG of 1.078. I'm using a "slap-pack" of Wyeast 1056. The package reads that I can pitch in wort up to 1.060 but their website suggests that its good for up to 11% alcohol. Did I ruin my beer, just kidding!

My question is what should I expect? The room it's kept in stays a constant 62F. Am I gonna get some decent attenuation out of this? Should I pitch more?

From my experience and reading, IF you have a problem it will likely be with slightly off flavors rather than lack of attenuation. Higher gravity + under pitching = stress on the yeast. Making starters is absurdly easy and makes for better beer. I brewed about six months before I made my first starter, and I wish I hadn't waited. After temp control, it's the most important factor in better beer, IMHO.

You have roughly 100 billion cells of yeast in that smack pack. The ideal amount of yeast for 5gal of 1.078 beer is around 280 billion cells.

The yeast you pitch will multiple and grow until there are enough to ferment your beer, but you'll most likely encounter a longer lag time, and a little more esters in the beer. Also expect a little higher FG (couple points).

Under-pitching isn't the end of the world, but making starters will help you make better beer.

I brewed Friday and ran into this EXACT problem! Same OG, yeast, temp and all! Thanks for asking and looking to read some responses. :mug:

I've got a buddy that pitches smack packs without starters all the time. He consistently brews 9%+ brews. He may be the exception the rule but his beers never have a "stressed" yeast character to them. As said above though, starters are "extremely easy" just found this out this past weekend.

I've got a buddy that pitches smack packs without starters all the time. He consistently brews 9%+ brews.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, but if he pitches 1 smack pack into 1.085+ wort, I can promise you that his beers would be better if he pitched the appropriate amount of yeast.

How much better? I'm not sure, but they would definitely be better.

no jack assery taken. I couldn't agree more, hence the mention of starters not only being easy, but a necessary "insurance" policy.

I pitched it last night and it already bubbling. Would there be any benifit/harm in pitching another pack?

Its funny all the comments about starters. Before I started this batch, I was thinking that would be my next goal. I'm definitely gonna start that.

I pitched it last night and it already bubbling. Would there be any benifit/harm in pitching another pack?.

No harm, but the yeast have probably already reproduced enough, so pitching more yeast won't do much. You'll be fine, just ride it out.

No harm, but the yeast have probably already reproduced enough, so pitching more yeast won't do much. You'll be fine, just ride it out.

This. As pointed out, there's often not a huge flavor impact. I think the issue is important largely for those who want to make good homebrew in to great beer. :rockin:

Back