Converting Extract Recipe to Partial Mash (Munich Malt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtr

Reaction score
So...I have this old recipe (the first one I ever made, in fact) that I've been wanting to make again. It looked something like this:

8.5 lbs Bries Munich Liquid Extract
.75 lbs Caramel Malt (Crystal Malt 120)
1 lb Smoked Beech Malt
.5 oz Cascade Hops (boiling)
.75 oz Willamette Hops (Flavor)
.5 oz Chinook Hops (Finishing)
.75 oz Cascade Hops (Dry Hops)
2 packets California Ale Yeast

I've been doing partial mash for a while now, and I don't really want to go back to extract only. Is Munich LE really just Munich malt? Can I actually just substitute enough Munich Malt in BeerSmith to equal the OG of this beer and be done with it?

It seems a little crazy now to do a beer of only Munich Malt (with a touch of Crystal), but I remember this beer being incredibly delicious.

Any suggestions? I do know I'll need to adjust the hops now that I'm doing full boils (and I'll probably adjust it for 6 gallons instead of 5).

Ah one of the benefits of doing ag... Yeah beersmith will convert it to the base malt... You could always experiment doing half munich half something else but I think that extract is straight munich...could be wrong though...

Ah! Half Munich and Half Pale...that sounds better already. Let's see how it goes.

Back