screwed up my boil schedule and hops. ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I wasn't paying attention and when calculating my water additions I had set up a 90min boil instead of a 60. Because of that by the end of the boil I still had close to .75gal more than my target. So, instead of giving up, I cranked up the fire and boiled it to death for another 20min to knock down some volume. Shouldn't have? probably, but ya know, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I should probably say that I hop in a paint strainer bag, so before I fired up the boil the second time, I removed the hops.

This is an all columbus IPA with about 4.5oz of hops into the boil (3.5oz at 10min or less).

Just interested to see what people think will happen with this beer. Did I boil off all of the aromatics? Is it going to cause it to be ridiculously bitter?

(This isn't a RDWHAHB freak out post, what's done is done, just curious on your thoughts, it's not like I WON'T drink the beer lol)

so, any ideas on what the extended boil would have done?

Thanks
Kyle

You may have boiled some of the aroma off but other than that you'll be right where you want to be. Aside from maybe a little lower in o.g. because of the extra water volume. Just dry hop a little.

I would think that some aromatics were definitely lost......that being said.....the hop profile should not be bad. You just shifted it back more towards what the hop profile would taste like when the hops are boiled longer ie....bittering or aroma. You kinda passed up the finishing effect maybe? That being said.......if it's gonna be an IPA....what difference does it make? Add a little extra dry hop if your worried about hop character. Excess bitterness should not be a problem since you removed the hops prior to the extended boil. My thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Thanks. you more or less reinforced what I believed. Don't worry, this guy is getting a few oz of Columbus for the dry hop so the aroma will still be there. My biggest worry was the flavor additions (20 and 10) but I think it will be fine as the aroma probably shifted in that direction due to the extended boil.

Thanks again.
Kyle

Back