• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Magnetic stirrer and plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to buy a used magnetic stirrer and plate, nothing too fancy. Thought I would try to ask here in case anyone needs some cash before I search out ebay and such. I live in zip 52307 in case you need this for shipping estimate.

Mick

Second that. It's not tough and it's kind of fun to make all those yeasties with something you made.

If you DO buy one, good source here:

They guy who makes them, Danm is an HBT vendor. It's the lowest-cost stirplate on the market. I have one, I built one first but it's a real PITA to get everything just right (location of the magnet, etc). The one I bought from stirstarters.com is simple, but it just works.

Lots of other testimonials here.

If you DO buy one, good source here:

They guy who makes them, Danm is an HBT vendor. It's the lowest-cost stirplate on the market. I have one, I built one first but it's a real PITA to get everything just right (location of the magnet, etc). The one I bought from stirstarters.com is simple, but it just works.

Lots of other testimonials here.

I'm with you on this one. I already had a used lab stirplate but I also had the parts to make a stirplate. I decided not to make it as I saw how finicky they are to get just right and decided it's easier and more reliable to buy from either stirstarters.com or http://www.brewershardware.com/Brewers-Hardware-Stir-Plate.html. Granted this would be for a second stir plate but even it was my first I would prefer to buy. Truthfully, in general I'm the type that would rather build something myself rather than purchase but not for this one.

I did try to make one, and it was just a PITA to get the magnets positions just right. Spent a lot of time, and never got it to *not* throw the stir bar when I was using it. I might keep futzing around with it, I hate to admit failure, but for $42 (and free shipping at the time, IIRC), I have no regrets about the one Dan makes.

Back