I need some new music!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to find some new music. Radio in buffalo generally sucks and plays classic rock that is old in the tooth, top 40 which usually sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and some hard guitar based rock that is a little too loud/aggressive (even though I still like Nine Inch Nails from time to time...) for this middle aged guy.

Likes over the last few years: Grace Potter and Nocturnals, M.O.E., David Byrne/Brian Eno, Derek Trucks, Soulive, Kathleen Edwards, Neil Young (old and new). (so from Jazz to Jam Band, with some older guys that still put out good stuff)

Go see on when in the area: U2, Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, 54-40, Springsteen, Hope to catch War again this summer, Pearl Jam, Grace Potter, Derek Trucks, Roger Waters.

So, what new bands might I be interested in?

Some friends and I have a club dedicated to our fave. We call ourselves the Claymates and all we listen to is Clay Aiken.:D

Kidding aside I feel the same as you do. I usually end up listening to sports radio because I am burned out on everything.

my roommate is a huge muse fan and had an extra ticket for their show earlier this year, i went not really knowing who they were and not expecting much but i must say they rocked that show and their music is all extremely good, i'm currently working on slowly buying all of their cd's on itunes.

Not necessarily all new bands but...

Avett Brothers - Migonette and Emotionalism
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times (NOT their newest album which sucks)
Old Crow Medicine Show - O.C.M.S.
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Its the same thing around here in Central IL.

With some thought, I could guess the 50 tunes that they play day in and day out on the classic rock stations with a few exceptions thrown in the mix.

Country stations are the same 20 tunes.

We have a station called "Hippie radio" that is generally alright except sometimes they start to get really slow and play crap that no one has ever heard of (and for good reason).

Theres been times at work where I flip it on the Classical station and no one bitches about it. Guess we're all tired of the same ol ****.

Some friends and I have a club dedicated to our fave. We call ourselves the Claymates and all we listen to is Clay Aiken.:D

Kidding aside I feel the same as you do. I usually end up listening to sports radio because I am burned out on everything.

Sports talk radio is all I listen to anymore. New music for the most part, is crap, IMHO. :rockin:

I nominate the Black Keys
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS372US373&q=the%20Black%20Keys&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv"]http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS372US373&q=the%20Black%20Keys&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv[/ame]

Sports talk radio is all I listen to anymore. New music for the most part, is crap, IMHO. :rockin:

You are correct about new music. Hardly worth listening to.

And this is coming from a 24 year old, the target audience!

my roommate is a huge muse fan and had an extra ticket for their show earlier this year, i went not really knowing who they were and not expecting much but i must say they rocked that show and their music is all extremely good, i'm currently working on slowly buying all of their cd's on itunes.

checked a couple youtube videos and they were pretty interesting. any cd to recommend getting first?

there is a reason his last name is aiken....

Black Keys - nice stripped down sound. I think they might grow on me.
Avett Brothers - a couple youtube videos were real good. actually playing with les claypool 6/2 at Artpark. Might have to check it out.

I'll have to check the others out a little later today.
Thanks

Hey guys, anyone that's interested in finding 'new' music head over to http://www.pandora.com, they use a music algorithm, type in the name of a song you like, and it finds random songs just like it and plays it. You can thumb up or down a song to keep it on your station, a great way to find new music you like.

Try some of these:

Them Crooked Vultures
10 years
Rehab
Ben Harper
They Might Be Giants
White Rabbits
Lagwagon
Modest Mouse

This is what I have in my CD player in the truck.

Here is some White Rabbits

#

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, anyone that's interested in finding 'new' music head over to http://www.pandora.com, they use a music algorithm, type in the name of a song you like, and it finds random songs just like it and plays it. You can thumb up or down a song to keep it on your station, a great way to find new music you like.

Nice. I've been listening to streaming music forever and just ignored Pandora.

I went there and typed in Fleet Foxes (one of my chill faves) and I'm listening to a bunch of new, cool sounds. Like it. Thanks for posting!

Nice. I've been listening to streaming music forever and just ignored Pandora.

I went there and typed in Fleet Foxes (one of my chill faves) and I'm listening to a bunch of new, cool sounds. Like it. Thanks for posting!

Glad to share! I like to let it play new music for me while brewing/kicking back with a home brew. Its nice to discover new music you like, since it selects it based on your certain type of sound your looking for.

http://www.pandora.com

You enter in an artist you like and it creates a station based on that artist. Then it plays a few different things and you hit thumbs up or down depending on how you like it. Pandora uses that input to make musical associations and suggests new artists to you.

I have several stations that are "trained" to my different moods. One started out with stuff like Garbage or the Cranberries and eventually turned into female-only rock music. I have another classic country station, and another that's for all-out punk stuff.

Bonus, there's an iPhone app that I can use to listen when I'm not at a computer (or am at work where Pandora is blocked)

I was offered Muse tickets last Friday for that nights show. I am not into late night bomber runs to Sea-town any more so I declined. They are very good, but their last album is pretty recycled. The opening band Silversun Pickups are BADASS and pretty easy to get into for everyone.
I recommend picking a band someone suggests and creating a Pandora station for them. You get to hear a little bit of the band and others like them. I have found a ton of bands I like this way.

Fired up pandora when I got back from easter dinner at a buddies house and it's pretty cool. I'll have to check out the other suggestions this week. Hopefully the IT police at work don't have pandora blocked.

On the road I listen to my HD Radio. You'd have to look online to see what the extra stations are for your area, but for me I listen to the live classic/90s rock station, all Northwest bands station, Indie rock, and there's also comedy, blues, sports, dance and other stations I haven't really checked out. I don't like regular radio because they always play the same music and the commercials last forever, but there's never any commercials on the second HD stations and it's free.

I've been listening to:

Euforchestra (reggae-ish kind of sound) (You can dl their latest album for free)
Them Crooked Vultures
Whole Lotta Bluegrass (Bluegrass Led Zep)
Strummin with the Devil (Bluegrass Van Halen)
Pink Floyd (Yeah, it's "classic rock", but their sound was so varied, that I never get tired.)

+1 on Pandora. It's a nice change, although I still rarely step out of my comfort zone.

First, I'm a big Pandora fan.

Recently I signed up for a Last.fm account. I was skeptical because, frankly, I had "tuned" my Pandora stations so well I always got music I enjoy etc.

However, I want ahead because I'd heard some good things. I set up a few stations and...I found someone new! The artist (Over the Rhine) had never shown up on any station I have on Pandora. It was a super discovery.

Not knocking Pandora - still love it. Really love it now that I have a Roku box and can interact with it on the TV. :)

So, if you're a music lover that likes discovery of new people to listen to, start with Pandora and then consider adding a Last.fm account. You might find some more discoveries.

Check out The Last Great Fiction.

Facebook

yeah.. this is shameless self promotion - I'm the drummer :eek:
Our new album The Sound of Black and White is available on iTunes, amazon and most other major online music retailers:D

Last edited by a moderator:
checked a couple youtube videos and they were pretty interesting. any cd to recommend getting first?

i'd recommend their newest cd "the resistance", by far my most favorite, "absolution" and "black holes and revelations" are also some of their best work.

I was into the hippy/jam scene (Moe, Phish, String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band) for about 13 years and have recently gone back to alternative rock. I've been digging Spoon, Yeasayer, Hot Chip, MGMT, and Vampire Weekend lately. Also the new Gorillaz album Plastic Beach is damn good as well.

Oh, two thumbs up on Old Crow Medicine Show...they ROCK live, too.

I've been really into The Gourds of late and I've been pretty addicted. I'm also pretty into Scythian right now...weird mix of Celtic and Klezmer and one of the best fiddlers I've ever heard. Their live album is the best.

Some on rotation for mois:

Midlake-The Trials of Van Occupanther
Jose Gonzales-Veneer
The Shins-Wincing the Night Away
The Raconteurs-Consolers of the Lonely <---:rockin:
Iron and Wine-The Shepherd's Dog

I need to find some new music. Radio in buffalo generally sucks and plays classic rock that is old in the tooth, top 40 which usually sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and some hard guitar based rock that is a little too loud/aggressive (even though I still like Nine Inch Nails from time to time...) for this middle aged guy.

Likes over the last few years: Grace Potter and Nocturnals, M.O.E., David Byrne/Brian Eno, Derek Trucks, Soulive, Kathleen Edwards, Neil Young (old and new). (so from Jazz to Jam Band, with some older guys that still put out good stuff)

Go see on when in the area: U2, Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, 54-40, Springsteen, Hope to catch War again this summer, Pearl Jam, Grace Potter, Derek Trucks, Roger Waters.

So, what new bands might I be interested in?

Maybe try:

James McMurtry - He is a great singer/songwriter. His Dad wrote the novel Lonesome Dove.

Wilco - AM is their best album, I think

Lucero - from Memphis. Southern Rock with a gravelly voice.

Pobert Plant and the Strange Sensation (Mighty Rearranger) and Robert Plant with Allison Krauss (Raising Sand). Must haves!

Joe Bonamassa: a guitar god! Ballard of John Henry is my fave, although I just d/l a brand new one: Black Rock.

Which reminds me: www.emusic.com can be a good way to find (and buy) new music. If you rate stuff you like, they will suggest other stuff for you. Cheaper than buying at itunes too.

thanks for the new bands to try. Luckily the library actually has most of the bands/disks mentioned (they actually deliver to the closest library for a quarter) so I'll be listening to these in a couple days.

John Butler Trio - He just had a new CD out last week and I swear he is one of the most technically proficient guitarists playing today.

Mumford and Sons - British and has a somewhat gruff yet easy sound

Back